Pest (?) on Mexican Hat Plant

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_0522.JPG
I recently noticed lots of black spots, and maybe even some little bugs (not sure) on my Mexican Hat Plant. I've included a picture above. New to gardening, so I'd appreciate any advice -- what the issue is, how to try to get rid of the spots/bugs. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
View attachment 19745 I recently noticed lots of black spots, and maybe even some little bugs (not sure) on my Mexican Hat Plant. I've included a picture above. New to gardening, so I'd appreciate any advice -- what the issue is, how to try to get rid of the spots/bugs. Thanks!
I would guess aphids. Spray with a mixture of insecticidal soap or Neem Oil. I can't really tell from the picture if the black spots are damaged leaves or insects doing the damage or insect excrement. Do the spots rub off? But no matter what it isn't good. If aphids, and they can be a blackish color, spray with either an insecticidal soap or Neem Oil. If it is not aphids spray with a spinosad based insecticide. Some folks just spray with a strong stream of water but that does not cure the problem, it is just a bandaid.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the help! I used an insecticidal soap twice (apparently missed a few the first time), but the problem seems to be fixed now. :)

Ask a Question