Pest, disease or deficiency?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Most of my tomatoes are showing this problem on the underside. It gets worse as they get bigger. It kind of looks like insect damage, but it is almost too consistent to be a pest. I dealt with blossom end rot last year and this looks different, not mushy. Plus I've supplemented the plants with calcium nitrate. Help
20160714_100152.jpg
20160714_100141.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Have you taken thin slices from the fruit to see if there are any signs of interior caterpillar damage?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just did it. Doesn't look like there is damage on the inside. View attachment 14139
I don't think it is a deficiency. I think the actual damage was done some time ago by a caterpillar when it ate or damaged the skin of the fruit. Only time will tell if it is Blossom End Rot. Are these tomatoes being grown in the ground or hydroponically? If in the ground the next time you plant apply 1/2 cup of Epsom Salt at time of transplanting and again when they are blooming instead of calcium nitrate. In alkaline soils it stops BER completely even on tomato varieties that are very susceptible to it.

Ask a Question