Pest And Disease Resistant Plants

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Do you consider planting pest resistant crops or you rely on using drugs?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The only pest resistant plants that I know of are healthy disease free plants, other than GMO's that is. Being an organic gardener I seldom see a harmful insect except for grasshoppers. Caterpillars can be a problem but are easily eliminated with Bt. As for drugs if you mean chemical insecticides, they and any other chemical herbicide or fertilizers are not allowed on my property. I don't even allow glass beer bottles. As far as plant diseases go, a healthy fertile soil means a disease free plant. I do get early blight every year but I can control it long enough to make a crop

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like the idea of planting healthy plants and watching for the bugs that may harm the plants and control their spread before they can do any harm. I do not like to spray my plants with harmful pesticides, indoors or outdoors.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The only pest resistant plants that I know of are healthy disease free plants, other than GMO's that is. Being an organic gardener I seldom see a harmful insect except for grasshoppers. Caterpillars can be a problem but are easily eliminated with Bt. As for drugs if you mean chemical insecticides, they and any other chemical herbicide or fertilizers are not allowed on my property. I don't even allow glass beer bottles. As far as plant diseases go, a healthy fertile soil means a disease free plant. I do get early blight every year but I can control it long enough to make a crop
Aspirin, compost tea and hen's blood?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We don't know anything about pest-resistant plants. The only thing we use for pests is malathion, a chemical insecticide that surely kills and eradicates any kind of pest in the garden. The only problem with Malathion is the odor that it emits, so bad to the nose. Just this morning, my husband sprayed a bottle in the backyard because petsts are eating the leaves of our fruiting pepper plant.

Ask a Question