Persimmon Juice

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/2015/December 2015/9 December 2015 Persimmon Juice/HTML/ 9 December 2015 Persimmon Juice
Thirty six persimmons about 20 pounds were made into 16 liters of juice.Process was to wash,remove stem, cut into quarters, add 10 liters of water to cooking pot, cook for about 20 minutes, blend into a slurry.Strain through a 2 mm mesh food mill, place in liter jars and pressure cook at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage. The complete fruit is used. the juice is very sweet. Straining is not necessary since there is almost no gross fiber.
dsc_80559 december 2015 persimmons_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love eating persimmon but it is very expensive here! All through this year, I only get to eat three and it was very sweet and delicious! I have never tasted persimmon juice before.
IMG_2450.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Cost is $22.00 per box of 18 persimmons. This is my first attempt at juicing. The juice thickens in the jars and in some cases water need be added to make drinkable. Each jar consists of 2.25 persimmons. For juice it appears add one liter of water per persimmon. But it is easy to add water on the glass to thin, if less water is used initially.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never eaten persimmons, but I think I'd like them. I love sweet fruits and sweet fruit juice:) Unfortunately, most juices available in stores here are loaded with sugar:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What type of persimmon is that? Hachiya? Do you know if fuyu persimmons work as well for juicing? I've seen persimmons at the Asian market near me quite often but it's always the sort of flat ones that look like orange tomatoes. I believe they're the fuyu variety and I'm pretty sure they're more firm so I wonder if they work as well for juicing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Hachiya. I have no experience with the fuyu. Try four or five to see if they make a good juice or not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Persimmons are popular here for eating, but I've never tried persimmon juice! I think they even sell it at my local juice bar/smoothie shop! I'll have to perhaps give it a try next time I'm in the mood for a juice.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Blending a well ripened persimmon with water makes a nice drink, a juice if you like, with all nutrients. Cut out any seeds before blending. The method depicted is for storage for use after the season is over.

Ask a Question