Pergola plants

Reaction score
My husband and I built a couple pergolas over the last couple weeks. We want to have some plants grow on the longer one but don't want vines taking over the structure. What flowering plant would grow half way up to maybe to the top but no more than that? We still need to add lattice to sides of the shorter one.
100_6982c.jpg
100_6970c.jpg

Reaction score
Morning glories grow very fast and vine quickly and very fragrant. you will have beautiful delicate flowers all summer on them as well. Pink Jasmine(Jasminum polyanthum) is fabulous and fragrant. Blooms in Spring. Check to see if it grows in your zone. Star Jasmine is good too(Trachelospermum jasminoides). Blooms in summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
How about sweet peas? They are so pretty and colourful, they would look gorgeous on your pergola :)

Reaction score
Sweet peas might be nice and maybe a combination of peas and morning glories. Neither would be so heavy that they take away from the pergola.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds like a good idea to me! Let us know which ones you decide to go for :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
A weed is just a plant out of place ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sweet peas smell so good though and self seed just like morning glory but can ge out of hand if you are not careful .I have morning glories I have been pulling up everywhere .

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with the "Climbing Clematis." Add some roses, morning glories, wisteria, grape vines and ivy and you will have a trellis that your entire neighborhood will be in awe of.

Most of the time you see Clematis around the mailbox, but with a trellis, you can be much more creative, and the Clematis will come back every year.

climbing_plant_arbor.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Sweet peas might be nice and maybe a combination of peas and morning glories. Neither would be so heavy that they take away from the pergola.

I love sweet peas! I haven't seen any growing in a while. I'm going to have to look into planting some next year! I would like to have a pergola to hang plants on to create a vertical garden.

Reaction score
I grow sweet peas every year along my ugly wire fence to hide it. They surprise you with their lovely scent when the wind is blowing just right, it's surprisingly strong yet delicate. I love the variety of colors too, from white, yellow, pink to orange, red and purple. They're easy as heck to grow too, not picky at all.

Ask a Question