Perfect climber? Zone 5

Ino

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Good morning! I'm looking for a climbing flowering vine for a trellis in the corner of my yard. I'd like something showy and full as this is against a white vinyl fence and I'm trying to brighten up that corner. My main concern is it's watering needs. I would like it to be somewhat drought tolerant after it's established. The area gets afternoon sun. I was thinking a honeysuckle or climbing hydrangea. Thoughts? Suggestions? The trellis is rather large with 3 panels, I think I might be able to plant a couple things there but I don't want them to choke one another out. Thanks for any ideas you can provide! :-D

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a Mandevilla, she is beautiful and likes to grow. Now I put her on a trellis so she can climb on it! I would send pictures of the result. I got it a few months ago. I think on May and she has grown out of the pot I had it in. I chose a bigger one for her now.

Attachments

• 7C135B36-8E67-4C84-AB23-1D0BA580C843.jpeg
    7C135B36-8E67-4C84-AB23-1D0BA580C843.jpeg
    351.4 KB · Views: 55
  • A1178447-109D-4325-B9DA-E89BC06E8467.jpeg
    A1178447-109D-4325-B9DA-E89BC06E8467.jpeg
    349.2 KB · Views: 52

Ino

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I love mandevilla's but from what I have read, they are annuals. I would really like a perennial in this spot. How is the mandevilla with water needs?

I have a Mandevilla, she is beautiful and likes to grow. Now I put her on a trellis so she can climb on it! I would send pictures of the result. I got it a few months ago. I think on May and she has grown out of the pot I had it in. I chose a bigger one for her now.

Ino

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ah.. yeah that makes sense.. That plant works for your location.. haha.. I need something that doesn't need a lot of water that will live through a Chicago winter. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Ino:

I think your idea of selecting a honeysuckle (Lonicera spp.) is a good one. There is a wide variety of cultivars to choose from, with various colors and floral forms. One variety I find particularly intriguing is Lonicera reticulata 'Kintzley's Ghost'. Photos don't do it justice.

Of course, trumpet creeper (Campsis radicans) is another cold-hardy vine that puts on a magnificent floral display. It is vigorous and will eventually need a yearly pruning to be kept manageable, but in truth, the same can be said for most vines. I find it's better to have a vigorous plant that needs an occasional pruning than a sluggish plant that never fills the space desired.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
A trumpet vine may get too big after a few years. Wisteria could also work. I've seen both growing and both out of control in Rockford IL - lived there for 13 years.

Clematis can also do well if you're careful about the selection.

How about cold hardy kiwi? They have smallish white flowers followed by edible fruit.

Grapes?

Hops? Shades of green with bright green cones in mid to late summer. Will die back each year. Will overgrow many areas once established. I have "Centennial" growing along my back fence up a power pole and am getting some to grow up another power pole guy wire.

Train / tie a butterfly bush or lilac to the trellis? But they're shrubby and will grown there without the trellis.

Fast one year color as you're waiting for it to grow in - scarlet runner beans.

Ino

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you Marck! That Kintzley's Ghost sure is interesting looking! I may poke around the internet and see if I can find that! Thanks SO much for the suggestion! I have never seen anything like it!!

Mr_Yan, The hops is an attractive vine! I am looking for more flowering though to add colorful interest. I do love kiwi but I think since it is a fruit variety, the plant probably needs quite a bit more water then what I am going to want to give it. But may be good for another area within my drip irrigation zone if I find another spot to put a trellis. Thank you!! That scarlet runner bean vine is super cool too! I love the odd shaped flowers!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here in the UK I would plant Rambling Rosie, a small well behaved rambling rose (I have two already)
1628797915586.png
and with that I would add Lonicera Halliana which is beautifully scented.
1628798107407.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Climbing knock out roses!! They don't require alot of care and they dead head themselves. But you can dead head so it produces new flowers faster. But they do need water.

Clematis is great! I envy those that have them and have lots of flowers. I cant get mine to give me much flowering activity.

My suggestion, stay away from trumpet vines. I cut down 2 giant ones on my property, dug out as much root as possible. Did whatever anyone suggested to get rid of it, and I have shoots popping up all over. I lost count at 44. I found 5 more today after the heavy rains last week. These are not easy to get rid of, and make a huge mess with all its flowers and attracts wasps. Lots of them. They did bring hummingbirds which was the only plus.

Ino

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Ino:

I think your idea of selecting a honeysuckle (Lonicera spp.) is a good one. There is a wide variety of cultivars to choose from, with various colors and floral forms. One variety I find particularly intriguing is Lonicera reticulata 'Kintzley's Ghost'. Photos don't do it justice.

Of course, trumpet creeper (Campsis radicans) is another cold-hardy vine that puts on a magnificent floral display. It is vigorous and will eventually need a yearly pruning to be kept manageable, but in truth, the same can be said for most vines. I find it's better to have a vigorous plant that needs an occasional pruning than a sluggish plant that never fills the space desired.

I wanted to check back in and say that I was able to find a Kintzley's Ghost online. It is growing beautifully! I was able to bring my Clematis back to life and I planted some sedum in front of both of these to give the rooted area a bit of shade. They both seem to love it! Can't wait to see what they do next summer!!!

Thanks all for your suggestions!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's wonderful. Thank you for sharinging this good news. Those two vines will make a sensational display. Which Clematis are you growing? Maybe you can post pictures when your vines come into bloom.

Ino

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hopefully! Unsure if the Kintzley is going to choke out the Clematis! We will have to see. I am unsure of the Clematis name but here is a photo of it, perhaps you know the name? And yes, for sure! I would love to keep this thread updated with photos!!

Attachments

• Clem.jpg
    Clem.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 29
Reaction score
Country
United States
What a beautiful flower. This does remind very much of Clematis x 'Niobe', but it would be difficult to identify it with certainty, as there are a number of similar large-flowered red Clematis.

Ask a Question