Perennial Vegetables - Recommendations?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I like the idea of having perennial vegetables in my garden, but wonder how tasty they are?

I've started off a few (haven't tasted them yet):

1. Asparagus
2. Globe Artichokes
3. Jerusalem Artichokes (aka Sunchokes)
4. Egyptian Walking Onions

I love Brocccili and Cauliflower - I've seen perennial versions of these, but not convinced they have any benefit over annuals. Would love to hear the experiences of others?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
1. Asparagus... excellent veggie. Great taste. Only downside I found was that it tends to be invasive and pops up all around the area.
2. Globe Artichokes...very nutritious, difficult to get germination but a real delicacy
3. Jerusalem Artichokes (aka Sunchokes)...not a fan of these
4. Egyptian Walking Onions...excellent bridge onion to fill the gap between when big onions run out and new big onions harvested. Really like them.

Others
5. Rhubarb...wish I could grow this but just too hot here. Love the flavor. Maybe one day can find a variety for here.
6. Garlic...softnecks do ok here and of course provide great seasonings
7. horseradish...would like to try to grow it but doubtful it will make it through our summers

We enjoy home grown blackberries, grapes (muscadine), peaches, plums, blueberries, pears. pomegranates, pecans, kumquats, and others I'm probably missing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
1. I tried one and didn't like it.
2. Never eat one.
3. Never eat one.
4. I think those are called tater onions here. I've grown those before and they taste just like bunching onions. You can cut the bottom (root) off at harvest and replant it and it comes back.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Twice I have built a proper asparagus bed, it's a lot of work, and you are supposed to wait for ages before you pick. Twice I have moved before I got any benefit. It is always good, well grown it is great.

Globe artichokes are a good taste, but they are such a faff to eat unless you take them very young and eat whole. I ended up growing them for appearance, they are wonderful stately plants and if the flowers are left they are lovely and attract lots of bees.

Jerusalem artichokes are a really good taste. They need careful cooking not to be watery, and be careful to get every bit when you harvest, or back they will come.

No idea about the onions.

Tbh I really can't think of any perennial vegetables, even Jerusalem artichoke isn't really. you just replant the tubers like potatoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Twice I have built a proper asparagus bed, it's a lot of work, and you are supposed to wait for ages before you pick. Twice I have moved before I got any benefit. It is always good, well grown it is great.

Globe artichokes are a good taste, but they are such a faff to eat unless you take them very young and eat whole. I ended up growing them for appearance, they are wonderful stately plants and if the flowers are left they are lovely and attract lots of bees.

Jerusalem artichokes are a really good taste. They need careful cooking not to be watery, and be careful to get every bit when you harvest, or back they will come.

No idea about the onions.

Tbh I really can't think of any perennial vegetables, even Jerusalem artichoke isn't really. you just replant the tubers like potatoes.
Our globe artichokes, jerusalem artichokes and asparagas are all growing extremely well - all planted this spring though so nothing tasted yet. We've got quite a few heads on the globe artichokes but I want to see them flower so we'll hold off eating - but I planted way more than I wanted (grown from seed) as I thought some would fail. But they're all going strong and some will need to be dug up as they're too close together.

I'm quite nervous and excited to try the JA's. We've put quite a lot in, and I'm now worried as I'm told they cause terrible wind!! Some report that this doesn't happen if you leave then in the ground until after the first frosts? Glad to hear they taste good though.

Some other perennials that I've heard about include:
  • 9 Star Perennial Broccili
  • Good King Henry
  • Babbington Leek - this one looks interesting!
  • Wild Garlic (also known as scapes I think). - I've got seeds for this but haven't managed to germinate any yet.

Loads more listed here - Skirret looks interesting.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wild garlic (I call it Ransoms) grows all along the stream near here, my friend is mad about it, but I can't say it impressed me. Good King Henry is a familiar name, I think Dad might have grown it, but I shall definitely be investigating some of these.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Wild garlic (I call it Ransoms) grows all along the stream near here, my friend is mad about it, but I can't say it impressed me. Good King Henry is a familiar name, I think Dad might have grown it, but I shall definitely be investigating some of these.
Let me know your thoughts if you do look into it.

I have 4 Beagles, so anything in my garden is routinely trashed. This year I fenced off a big area for fruit and veg. At the top (it's on a slope) is raised beds, then on the actual slope I have a food forest. The idea being that the top half is cultivated and tended but the bottom half gets to run a bit wild. I need to put more in the food forest part, but it's hard to find perennials that I'd actually eat!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I am on my 6th year of my Asparagus bed. This is the best year yet. 100% recommend

I did not know garlic could be perineal

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I am on my 6th year of my Asparagus bed. This is the best year yet. 100% recommend

I did not know garlic could be perineal
Wild Garlic isn't what you'd recognize as garlic. Info here:

I've got another year to go before I can taste my asparagus. Looking forwards to it!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
Wild Garlic isn't what you'd recognize as garlic. Info here:

I've got another year to go before I can taste my asparagus. Looking forwards to it!!
that makes a lot more sense ty

Ask a Question