Perennial Landscaping

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, we have a "mound" in the front yard that is about 12x12 feet that we are hoping to re-landscape with some perennials. I'm looking for recommendations on what would be good plant. There is a little bit of a gradient, but not too much, and I am looking for roughly three "levels" of flowers. Any recommendations would be really helpful. We're in zone 7 and the mound will be in full sunlight. Would love something that will bloom for as long as possible.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Butterflyweed is one of my all time favorite plants. It has a long blooming period that starts towards the end of June and continues blooming throughout summer and occasionally into early autumn. It attracts amazing pollinators including Monarch butterflies, whose caterpillars need it to survive. I've also seen Ruby-throated Hummingbirds drink from it. It grows to about 2' tall and wide. I've given seedlings to so many family members because they all love it once they see it. Worth noting that it's a plant that you'll want to keep wherever you plant it because it's taproot is very deep which makes it very easy to kill if you try to move it.

IMG_9442 copy.jpg

IMG_9603 copy.jpg

IMG_9813 copy.jpg

IMG_3302 copy.jpg

Stout Blue-eyed Grass is a great small plant. It begins blooming in May and typically blooms into July, but I've had some that keep blooming into August and even September. I've lined an entire side of my pond with it because I like it so much, and I'm working to get it growing throughout my garden in every gap I can find. It only gets 6" to 8" tall. It's in the Iris family.
IMG_2695 copy.jpg

IMG_2659 copy.jpg

Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wild Columbine can get 2.5' tall, Blooms in May, June, and July. Mine explodes in color, fades away, and then explodes again. This is a great hummingbird plant.
IMG_2364 copy.jpg

IMG_2371 copy.jpg

Great Blue Lobelia begins blooming in August and blooms for around 6 to 8 weeks. It's another great hummingbird plant. It gets flower stalks that can grow to about 4' tall. I'm trying to add more to my own garden because the size, shape, and color is so perfect. Tends to prefer wetter soil, but mine have grown in dry conditions just fine.

IMG_6135 copy.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Echinaceas and penstemons, salvias and alstroemerias (bit invasive), with ground hugging heurcheras, aubretias... Stipa gigantea at the top. A topiary ilex.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've never seen upright Lobelia before, is it hardy to zone 5 or is it an annual like the trailing Lobelia?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It's perennial here in Essex and as far as I can tell, it can withstand snow. A worthwhile addition. This one is a beautiful blue and I have red, salmon and you can have a collection of them. Very pretty and add height to the border. JB might know more! It's his pet love!
smileysmile-gif.33987

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You can advertise your seeds and strictly swap with someone else. That way, nobody can join today and get seeds and disappear!

If enough people advertise their free seeds, parties concerned can exchange personal details over private conversation. Bingo! Bob's your uncle. You could start a thread and see the response. I wouldn't want to send seeds to other countries as the cost is just too much. The postage in this country is scandalous!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've never seen upright Lobelia before, is it hardy to zone 5 or is it an annual like the trailing Lobelia?

It's a perennial. I grow a few in my garden and one in my bog filter for my pond. Does great in both locations.

You may also want to check out Lobelia cardinalis. I personally have not grown it, but I hope to add it to my collection in the future.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I wouldn't want to send seeds to other countries as the cost is just too much. The postage in this country is scandalous!

It can get pricey, especially when using the right kind of packaging. Not much benefit over just buying a seed packet from an online or local nursery.

Ask a Question