PEPPERS SLOW DOWN IN HOT WEATHER?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! My pepper plants (in pots on my deck), were putting out great but have slowed to almost nothing. Here in west central Florida we have been getting really hot weather - upper 90s. Could that be the reason? My mini eggplants are putting out great. I feed all my plants and make sure they are well watered. In this climate that means practically every day - you can feel the soil is getting dry poking a finger in. You have to reach well down to find any dampness.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sometimes I wait to put my peppers out later so I get a Fall crop from them. They do alot better than if I plant them at the first of garden season because it sorta misses the summer heat when they go to blooming. The heat can make the blooms fall off and they seem to just sit there but they will eventually start back again if that is your problem. Could also be the sun angle too, not sure.

Also I've heard of people overwintering their peppers so they don't have to replant them. You might be able to try that in your climate if you want to experiment.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Hi! My pepper plants (in pots on my deck), were putting out great but have slowed to almost nothing. Here in west central Florida we have been getting really hot weather - upper 90s. Could that be the reason? ...

Yes, happens every year. The good news is expect a big harvest in October. The plants will soon start blooming soon if they haven't already...mine have just started good. Keep them watered and fed and throw out a few handfuls of Epsom salts around the base of plants and you will be amazed at the fall harvest.

Ask a Question