Peppers prematurely flowering?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Hi, I was hoping for some help regarding my plants. I have some peppers growing indoors, pictures attached. I'm probably 4-5 weeks out from getting them to the outdoor garden and I am wondering what to do with the ones that are flowering.

Thanks!

image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, I was hoping for some help regarding my plants. I have some peppers growing indoors, pictures attached. I'm probably 4-5 weeks out from getting them to the outdoor garden and I am wondering what to do with the ones that are flowering.

Thanks!

View attachment 5011View attachment 5012
Gorgeous plants. If it were me I would put them in a larger pot. You will know more if they actually set fruit. Are they bells?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Thanks for the response. The top photo is a chili pepper - chimayo. The bottom one is in the bell pepper family – Napoleon sweet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I have been growing super hots for over ten years. Any flower is a good flower. It will not stop growing.

Lucky you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the response. The top photo is a chili pepper - chimayo. The bottom one is in the bell pepper family – Napoleon sweet.
The main thing until you can stick them outside is to not slow their growth. Don't let them get root bound and keep them warm and fed. If peppers get root bound it makes watering them an issue

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Thank you Chuck and Lori. I will pry them out gently and check the roots. I did transplant them recently but since then they've taken off so it sounds like I may be repotting them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
They're looking good and there's no problem with them.

It shouldn't be necessary to pry them out and check their roots - that can damage them. When there's a sign of roots coming out of the bottom of the pot they will need potting on. (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They will do just fine in the pot, and they will have peppers too. My mom brought her tomatoes indoors, and they gave her tomatoes throughout the month, not much, but some and we are in Michigan. Your plants look very healthy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
@diegotch, your pepper looks healthy and the flowers are also healthy so I guess it would give you a good harvest. But, yes, you have to put it outdoor so it can live a normal life. If I were you, I would plant it on the ground so the roots will have a leeway to grow by itself.

We have some apprehensions in growing pepper because of the onslaught of aphids. But our last pepper this year had plenty of fruits. Now, our young pepper is also starting to flower and, in fact, is has one fruit already. I am hoping that aphids will not attack it.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Its wonderful when you have a plant that will grow and never stop growing fruit. Get a bigger area to plant it in and as soon as they are ready you can pick them and continue to wait for more of their fruit. fantastic!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
In each plant there will be one "crown fruit" flower.
It usually grows at the first fork in your plant.
Remove it and you'll get a better crop overall.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I tried that with the chilies in the garden and the more you pick them off the quicker they grow. Isnt it fantastic to be able to eat the foods we grow from our own yards?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I tried that with the chilies in the garden and the more you pick them off the quicker they grow. Isnt it fantastic to be able to eat the foods we grow from our own yards?
Yes, I have always really enjoyed wide range of fruits and vegetables, and to get the extra flavour from allowing them to reach optimum ripeness naturally is wonderful, and that's before you consider the extra goodness and the lack of God-knows-how-many chemicals.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I had bananas growing in the garden and they taste so different compared to the ones you buy in the store. In some ways I am used to the ones in the store and the taste is something different that it almost is weird.

Ask a Question