Peppermint

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone grow peppermint? I love the taste of peppermint tea and was hoping to grow my own herbs. Is it similar to growing regular mint? Is it easy to take care of?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I've never grown it but I'm curious. I have grown regular mint which has been easy to grow and actually spreads like wildfire, in my experience if it isn't contained in some way. I too love peppermint tea - so delicious and very soothing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
From what I know, the mint in our garden is peppermint. Yes, it is easy to grow. Just plant it on the ground and give it enough water and it will thrive and spread very fast. We trim our mint once a month and sometimes when we have neglected it, the branches would overlap with the other plants. I am planning to replant it in a hanging pot becuase a gardener said that mint is better when it is hanging.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am not sure if the mint I have in the garden is peppermint, but this thing didn't even need any help as it spreads out of control. I usually pinch some leaves to make tea and it is delicious. I also use it in salad and cole slaw or whatever dish it might go well with!

Reaction score
I used to grow it for a very long time, but last time it was covered all over with red little bugs and that put me a bit off, lol. Ugh... I used it for tea, for fish and even for ice cream. I like to grow my own herbs, but it's not always possible, but when it is... yaay ;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
That’s good to know. Thanks for the info. Do you know if it spreads rapidly like other mint plants do?

I would probably grow it in a pot but it is always good to know.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have heard that you would want to grow mint in a container to keep it from taking over your garden. I have tried to grow mint but did not have much success with the plant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone know the different herbal remedies associated with peppermint? I know regular mint when added to water helps detox you. Does peppermint have the same effect?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never tried to grow peppermint, but I know that peppermint tea helps for an upset stomach:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's very easy to grow. So easy that it just might take over your garden if you don't watch it and use it up from time to time. They tend to be very fragrant with a minty smell and have smaller leaves than regular type of mint. Just walking in the garden and breaking of a little piece will give you sweet aroma that will follow you around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Do you know if it spreads rapidly like other mint plants do?

Yes, it does.

You can use the leaves the same way as other mints but don't use the stems in a mint tea. They can be a bit bitter. It doesn't like to be in full, hot, sunshine.

We don't grow the normal peppermint any more as we didn't use it in tea or cooking but we grow a miniature version that is nice just to get the aroma. It grows no more than a quarter of an inch high and spreads along the ground as a ground cover plant. It loves growing in the cracks between paving and spreading out from there.

The leaves are only about a quarter of an inch and, left to their own devices will form a dense mound. The flowers are also miniature and a lilac colour. We let it grow in the paving and on the floor (paving) of the greenhouse. Before we had a new patio put down we had it growing in the paving and had spread over 3ft in diameter.

Ask a Question