Peppermint problem

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I purchased a small peppermint plant and transplanted it into a 6 inch pot. I realized that is probably too small and will be purchasing a new larger pot for it this weekend. It has been doing okay and then today I came home and the stems have started to turn brown. It’s set in a place where it gets full sun for about 6 hours. I did some research but it didn’t look like the fungal infection because there aren’t any yellow spots on the leaves. We are having a huge heat wave now where it’s getting up to 95 or higher during midday. Is it the heat or an infection?

Attachments

• 80088234-3CFD-4284-9D29-FCE5677D5CBB.jpeg
    80088234-3CFD-4284-9D29-FCE5677D5CBB.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 170
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

It is not possible to make a firm diagnosis from the description or the photo provided. Peppermint (Mentha x piperita) should be able to take the heat as long as sufficient water is provided. However, as the plant is small and newly transplanted, try placing it in more shade during the hottest weather. Also observe the plant's reaction. If the problem is heat stress the symptoms should lessen. If there is a pathogen involved, symptoms might continue unabated.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As far as I know, mint needs a sufficient amount of water, but in this case it is most likely the stress of the transplant

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone! I purchased a small peppermint plant and transplanted it into a 6 inch pot. I realized that is probably too small and will be purchasing a new larger pot for it this weekend. It has been doing okay and then today I came home and the stems have started to turn brown. It’s set in a place where it gets full sun for about 6 hours. I did some research but it didn’t look like the fungal infection because there aren’t any yellow spots on the leaves. We are having a huge heat wave now where it’s getting up to 95 or higher during midday. Is it the heat or an infection?
This happens often to my plants when I haven't cut them back enough. Usually a good cut back and a spray of natural homemade white oil does the trick.

Ask a Question