Pepper Problem - Leaves turning white

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've looked at pics online quite a few times and just dont see anything similar, where a cause or solution is provided, so hoping for some insight..
Sprouted Trinidad Scorpion seeds in wet papter towel in bag in 80-90 degree with light, took about 10 days for most to germinate. Transfered to potting soil and they did well indoors with a decent lamp. Few days ago was nice out and had them outside about 5 hours for first time from 2pm till 7pm on day w/ no wind high 50's , at end it might have gotten to high 40's.
Plants were fine during one or 2 watering checks but when I brought them in, all my TS's had all most all of all leaves white, limp and shrivilling. Two days later thsi picture, where those mostly fell off, some had some green base left and are looking better than that horrible day.
Was it simply the cold, I would never think that was too cold, so as to kill them in an hour.
Worried it was not the temp, but instead a disease , because the same is now starting on red bell pepper plants, but over days, not minutes.
The plants on lest are the TSs and better ones on right are bell peppers.
Any thoughts on why no the bells are dying too?
Thanks!
Louy

Attachments

• 20200501_122705.jpg
    20200501_122705.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 122
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IMO the reason the bells are in better shape is that the TS are a much smaller and tenderer plant. It looks like sunscald on the TS and that mottled green and white on the bells is a nutrition issue. Fertilize the bells and they will probably come out of it. The bells also had a little sunscald it appears but nothing that they won't grow out of. The temperatures didn't hurt the plants much, the sun did because it was the first time they had ever seen the sun. On a tender plant like that the first time out shouldn't be more than about 2 hours unless you had them in a sunny window. Some of the TS plants might survive, just be more gentle with them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Others can give better answers I'm sure, but I have two points. one, that's a lot of plants in each pot,I think your are asking for problems transplanting those out.. my .02. second issue, could be too much soon too quick. I harden of starting with about an hour outside, no more. Gradually add time over a week or so.

Ask a Question