Peperomia Black stem

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it normal for the stem part to be black? If not, what can I do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 1,363
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 5,137
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know much about Peperomia, but some plants that don't require much water (eg succulents) can look like that if they are overwatered. How often are you watering it? How does the soil feel before you water?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I’ve never owned a peperomia before. I just bought it and noticed they kept popping out of soil. Never had this problem with other plants.
But I’m guessing the store I got it from overwatered it. I tend to wait til soil is pretty much dry to water.
Do you know of anything I can do to make sure it doesn’t die on me? So far I’m guessing I could just let it dry and wait it out. Leaves look ok.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Here it is called "Black Leg" or rot.
Pathogens - fungi Olpidium, Pythium, Rhizoctonia, etc., which live in the surface layer of the soil and feed mainly on dead plant tissues. But with high humidity, fungi do not refuse living green organisms and "pass" to the stem of the plant.

I would cut off, then dry a little and put it in a light soil so that the plant gave new roots. Healthy leaves can also be used.

image.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pathogens - fungi Olpidium, Pythium, Rhizoctonia, etc., which live in the surface layer of the soil and feed mainly on dead plant tissues. But with high humidity, fungi do not refuse living green organisms and "pass" to the stem of the plant.

I would cut off, then dry a little and put it in a light soil so that the plant gave new roots. Healthy leaves can also be used.

View attachment 33921
Thank you so much!

Reaction score
Country
United States

View attachment 33921
Thank you for this info Larisa, it helps me here now.
An additional question I hope will reach you and you can answer for me...
After trimming off the black stem, should I treat the cuttings with any fungicide or other additive?

I have Organocide Plant Doctor on hand and most of my plants don’t seem to be affected negatively by it. The pep, (Deppeana), needing help is still pretty young, in a 3.5” pot.

thanks again, and thank you in advance for your help with my question!

Ask a Question