Peach Tree Problem

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in northern california and have a peach tree given to us by my wife's grandpa he also grafted necterines and other types of peaches. It always had a problem of the leaves turning red and the fruit falls off prematurely. This year the leaves turned red but now looks like a bad special effects thriller (picture attached). How do i fix this?

Attachments

• 20170429_194332.jpg
    20170429_194332.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 236
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your trees have peach leaf curl Twinyard.
Rain is the "carrier" of spores causing this and, yes, it will (if bad enough) defoliate your trees....fruit drop will result.
Peach leaf curl is esp harmful at bud burst and on new growth. The rain washes the spores onto the non resistant new leaves.
Fan trained bushes against a wall or fence with a polythene sheet fixed above them to roll down when wet will resolve this problem. Or bushes of a manageable size can be protected with an "umbrella" of polythene. Or grown in a greenhouse.
Copper sprays at leaf drop and again at bud burst are effective but have to be re applied after rain.
Or grow a PLC resostant variety like Avalon.:)
I have 2 peaches in large pots.....currently PLC free with peaches swelling......that were kept in the gh until a couple of weeks ago. They are now outside but the foliage is pretty well resistant now it has grown out of its juvenile stage.
So, Twinyard, its a question of size......can you spray or protect your bushes or are they too big?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've got a nectarine tree.The first year I lived here it got some of the tastiest fruit I've ever eaten. The following year they all turned into black things and the tree almost died. Year three I thought it was dead as only one branch had any growth. I gave it up for dead and last year it came back to life but the peach leaf curl killed all the fruit. So I went shopping and picked up some Grean Earth Bordo Copper Spray. I'm reading the instructions and it tells me 1/2 tsp per square meter of water. This makes no sense as water can not be measured in a square meter, cubic meter yes but square meter no. A cubic meter is 1000 liters so I'm thinking it's not a typo of a 2 in place of a 3. My wife has since planted a peach tree so I'm going to hit that too. I've heard the fungus can affect cherries as well so I'll probably just nuke my yard with the stuff.

How much of this do I use in a gallon of water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I grew a peach tree from store bought fruit and it got leave curl and wilted so I moved it into shade and its been doing much better ever since.

P

Peace perfect peace

Greeting,
Ive 4 peach plus plums /pear/apple / cherry etc and i use a few methods both old and newer systems,
All dont cost the earth and all work, (A) early spring as soon as the weather will allow you to get out and Lime wash the tree's from ground up to we're they start to spray the branches out, (B) soap used or fresh dish water, spray as far up as you can reach and until the buds open and even then a regular light spray help with also ants etc (C) are you keeping the base area around the tree clear of grass etc ? IF Not try making a good drainage covering and removing grass etc Bugs live in these conditions?
Keep all your growing areas clean and a lot of problems ref bugs wont be so easy for these things to live in.
Last but not least, when the fruit is maturing if birds etc damage any "Remove it to the compost heap quick "dont leave any damaged fruit of any kind on or near your verious fruit tree"s, the flying type insects will be attracted to the damaged fruits?

Ask a Question