Peace lily help!

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so sorry if this has been asked before! I've had a peace lily for about a month now and recently it's not doing well. The leaves have been drooping like this since yesterday.

I have not watered consistently the past week (watered once every 3/4 days) because I just repotted the plant so I was trying to figure out how well the new soil retains moisture (also the weather has been alternating rapidly between hot/sunny and cold/rainy).

But yesterday and today I saw that it was drooping like this, so I watered it both days. Usually, it perks up within a couple of hours after watering, but not this time... any advice?

IMG20180401203954.jpg IMG20180401204018.jpg IMG20180401204035.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. Let’s see if we can’t fix your Peace Lilly. Improper watering is the number 2 killer of these plants. Number 1 is cold temperatures. I lost several to frost when I lived in Florida. I lost a few to drought in my last few years down there. Be sure your plant has good drainage in its new pot but don’t let the soil get dry. Did you relocate it after repotting? Inadequate light can have a negative effect. Did you use a commercial potting soil? Did you check the roots and old soil for root rot or bugs when you repotted? These plants are very hearty if you follow a few rules. I started with 2 and wound up with dozens in my back yard. Yours should recover with no problem.

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Welcome to the forum. Let’s see if we can’t fix your Peace Lilly. Improper watering is the number 2 killer of these plants. Number 1 is cold temperatures. I lost several to frost when I lived in Florida. I lost a few to drought in my last few years down there. Be sure your plant has good drainage in its new pot but don’t let the soil get dry. Did you relocate it after repotting? Inadequate light can have a negative effect. Did you use a commercial potting soil? Did you check the roots and old soil for root rot or bugs when you repotted? These plants are very hearty if you follow a few rules. I started with 2 and wound up with dozens in my back yard. Yours should recover with no problem.

Thanks for the advice! As per what you said, I checked my peace lily again. The roots were still in a root ball and hadn't spread out, and the soil at the bottom was dry and hard (when I water, the water hadn't reached down apparently...) so I loosened the soil there and then this time watered until water was draining out of the bottom of the pot so there won't be any air pockets. Will be monitoring for the next few days.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Might be a good idea to remove the dead and yellow leaves and raise the crowns a bit to improve the air circulation. The new shoots in the first pic are still healthy, but stroopy ones I am not sure. But there is hope. For that money, they are good finds and they help to purify the air!

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Thank you everyone! I realized that I haven't been watering it enough because I didn't water till it drains from the bottom, so the lower half of the soil was never wet. Well, now I try to water thoroughly every time it droops and it's doing very well. Have also removed the older leaves. Thank you for all your help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I tend to leave mine until they ' ask ' for water ( droop) , then give them a good drink.:) It's amazing how quickly they perk back up(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Added to say they are one of my favourite houseplants.......indestructible!!!!!, even I can't kill them:D:ROFLMAO:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I sometimes leave my houseplants to sit in water for an hour and add a bit of feed in the water. Singapore is a hot city. so it might be a good idea to top the pot up with grit to prevent evaporation.

Ask a Question