Peace Lily brown tips!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
So I bought this pot of peace lilies almost a month ago. Yesterday I noticed that ONE of them has its flower tip turning brown (the leaves are ok). I've been watering them once a week and they're sitting in a perfect spot. The other lilies are fine but I can't tell what's wrong with this one. Here's a pic:
cwTV1pH.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Let the soil dry completely, even to the point of the leaves starting to droop a bit. Once a week may be too frequent watering. Mist the leaves a few times a week; most tropical plants will benefit from that.

Browning of leaves or flowers is a pretty classic sign of over-watering. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't know too much about this plant, but I have one that was given to me as a container plant; not being a container gardener, I planted it under my oak tree, since they don't much like direct sunlight. I've noticed that it gets a lot of brown spots like that, including many on the leaves, but seems to be doing fine otherwise. Although, mine still might be getting too much sunlight -- it does get a little morning sun...

However, I remember reading that they like moist soil, but never overly wet or soggy. So consider allowing the soil to dry a little more and keep out of direct sun.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
Alright, I'm gonna skip watering it this Friday. I'll post an update the week after if I see any changes. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
India
Since this is only at the tip, why not something happened at its tip when the bud was small? Is this something we can rule out? Or has the brown tip appeared now?

By the way, my peace lilies are blooming for the first time. I'm watering a bit daily now. Summer months have started. Max would rise to about 37-38C and minimum hovers around 22C or 3-4 degrees lower.

First ones opened last month.
P1500892.JPG

I took this picture last week.

IMG_1138.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
Since this is only at the tip, why not something happened at its tip when the bud was small? Is this something we can rule out? Or has the brown tip appeared now?

By the way, my peace lilies are blooming for the first time. I'm watering a bit daily now. Summer months have started. Max would rise to about 37-38C and minimum hovers around 22C or 3-4 degrees lower.

First ones opened last month.
View attachment 17441

I took this picture last week.

View attachment 17442
These look really nice! :D

It was perfect when I bought it a month ago. It just turned brown at its tip a few days ago, but now I checked and its 3/4 brown. :(
What should I do?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Once it turns brown it will die off, but that doesn't mean the whole plant will die. Just continue keeping it out of direct sunlight and not allowing the soil to stay too wet and the plant (as a whole) should be fine. How does the rest of the plant look?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
India
Yes. That now confirms that it was the old flower and has lived its life. I observed my plant today and the first of the batch has turned brown too. So nothing to worry. It's normal. I'm really happy they live so long. I'm also growing this for the first time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
Once it turns brown it will die off, but that doesn't mean the whole plant will die. Just continue keeping it out of direct sunlight and not allowing the soil to stay too wet and the plant (as a whole) should be fine. How does the rest of the plant look?

The rest of it looks very healthy.

Do I cut the dead one? If so, how?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
India
I read that we can cut off the browned and spent stalk right at the bottom which the info says will allow for more stalks. The flower in my photo above - the one seen in the centre - has browned now and I'm going to cut off for the first time.
I don't water it too much. Just a little amount is enough. We can water when we notice the slight wilting of the stalk. It happened to my plant yesterday and I watered a bit. It's fine again. We can also water a bit on alternate days - it's summer at this time here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've had one for 27yrs but last summer it began to look very tired and tatty:(
I have since divided it into several small ones....but they still don't look very good.:(
Should they be fed at this time year,if so then what with.
Btw: I'm in the UK
Thanks.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
India
I have since divided it into several small ones....but they still don't look very good.
They may recover slowly, very slowly. Give it time and wait without over-watering. In my short experience, I've noticed it is a slow grower, hence you will notice buds opening very slowly. This could be an index to the nature of the plant, in my own observation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've had one for 27yrs but last summer it began to look very tired and tatty:(
I have since divided it into several small ones....but they still don't look very good.:(
Should they be fed at this time year,if so then what with.
Btw: I'm in the UK
Thanks.:)
I use miracle-gro indoor plant food in liquid form. Mix it up in a one quart bottle according to the directions on the label. This time of year I will feed them once a week for three weeks, followed by a good soak the following week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Licenter, I will give that a go. They are looking very sad so fingers crossed this will perk them up:)

Ask a Question