Patio Garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hi,
I am starting to garden. I live in an apartment but I have a good size patio. I want to have a raised garden bed, but what can I put under it so the soil does not stain the concrete when I move out? Also, I want to have some flowers or plants that just stay in their pots. What plants would work in the pots?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Rey Blackie regarding the question of what plants to grow, that pretty much depends on where you live and/or what your climate is. You can put that info on your personal profile under the place for an avatar. This info will help people answer your questions and offer suggestions. Take a look at vette-kids personal profile and my profile for examples. If you answer in a post, you will have to answer over and over again.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Rey Blackie regarding the question of what plants to grow, that pretty much depends on where you live and/or what your climate is. You can put that info on your personal profile under the place for an avatar. This info will help people answer your questions and offer suggestions. Take a look at vette-kids personal profile and my profile for examples. If you answer in a post, you will have to answer over and over again.:)

Thank you for the help! I changed my info. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Herbs will grow nicely in pots and will make your patio smell good too. Basil, lemongrass, rosemary, mint, chamomile are some examples.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What plants would work in the pots?
My daughter is in a similar position with an upstairs flat and a paved garden, she seems to be growing almost everything, from ornamentals to tomatoes and beans, it is just the size of container that is varying. She also has one of those little shelved greenhouses with a plastic cover which she finds very useful, but maybe unnecessary in Texas.
Legs is a good idea, but I would be inclined to just lay down two strips and then make a floor on top as a simpler, stronger solution carpentry wise. I line the bottom of heaps with the plastic sacks that compost, topsoil and manure are sold in, it would give your floor some protection.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and welcome.

You might be better off with plants in pots on plastic pot movers on castors, like these.

P1010050.JPG

Then if you over-fill a pot, what runs out will be held in the pot mover. You can also move them about more easily so that those not doing do well can be given more sun if that's possible. You'll be able to move them around so you can clean the patio.

It'll be no big deal to take them with you if you move and there's be no staining on the patio.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You are perfectly right ,Sean, but you know me, miserly and skint. My daughter came down for father's day the other week and saw a label left on a pot that said £13, said she had seen an almost identical one in her local nursery for £40. You could also put me down as a bit idle, all those years and I just turned the pot around so the label was at the back, never got a blade and scraped it off :)

Seriously, it can be done remarkably cheaply, there was a guy featured on a gardening program who had a little triangular strip of concrete between the house and a fence. He had filled it with old dustbins, oil cans from outside restaurants, any sort of container he could get free, arranged with the tallest at the back so the plants concealed them. He had turned it into a beautiful garden for the price of seed.

Ask a Question