Patchy new build lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

First time poster here. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction with my lawn.

We moved into a new build house at the end of June last year, which came with a turfed garden. We thought it was a little patchy at the time but assumed this was because it was new and kept watering it.

This year it has still be patchy and a couple of weeks ago we had a fly infestation in the garden where we couldn't use it. We think these were at marks flies. Could someone please confirm if my lawn looks like it may be infested by these or something else?

Thanks

P.s the left side of photo was turfed after we moved in and is a lovely green.

Attachments

• IMG_20200522_130535.jpg
    IMG_20200522_130535.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 176
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm in the US and will share what I think from my lawn business experience, however i don't know anything about your area. Since you have a dark green section on the left, that tells me you are probably just water stressed. Why is the lawn greener there, is because that part of the lawn holds more water due to more shade and less sun contact. If you had a bug infestation there would be no green and all the grass would look the same. I think you just need to put more water on your lawn before your grass dies if it hadn't already died.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the US and will share what I think from my lawn business experience, however i don't know anything about your area. Since you have a dark green section on the left, that tells me you are probably just water stressed. Why is the lawn greener there, is because that part of the lawn holds more water due to more shade and less sun contact. If you had a bug infestation there would be no green and all the grass would look the same. I think you just need to put more water on your lawn before your grass dies if it hadn't already died.
Thanks for your reply. I am in the UK. The lawn that is greener was laid down around 4 weeks after the rest of the lawn and since then It has been watered the same as the rest. Which leads me to think it's not due to lack of water but down to the fact of an infestation? My thoughts are that the new patch was not full of these files hence why it is doing much better.
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply. I am in the UK. The lawn that is greener was laid down around 4 weeks after the rest of the lawn and since then It has been watered the same as the rest. Which leads me to think it's not due to lack of water but down to the fact of an infestation? My thoughts are that the new patch was not full of these files hence why it is doing much better.
Thanks
Please drop the other shoe by describing the two different sources of the vegetation or was it from the same company?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please drop the other shoe by describing the two different sources of the vegetation or was it from the same company?
I'm afraid I don't know as the majority (right side) was installed before we moved in. I imagine it was the same company but a different batch of grass. Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at your photo doesn`t really give me any clue what`s wrong with your lawn because it is not very clear. Maybe you could take some more snaps without the reflections?
In any event it looks as if you may possibly be on a fairly new build? If so, there is probably a few tons of builders rubble underneath there which could cause the problem ???

By the way, welcome to the forum - are you going to grow a few plants in there?

Ask a Question