Patchy Lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We live towards the bottom of the east side of a valley that runs North/South, also with quite a few trees to the south of us. I the spring/summer the lawn gets a lot of morning sun, but come 2 o'clock at the latest the sun has gone.

Last September I laid a new turf lawn. Everything seemed to go well. However last spring/summer I noticed the lawn getting very patchy. (see photos). The soil gets a bit mossy, but not very much. The patches are all over the lawn. The barest bits are in the shady areas, but the biggest patch in in the area which gets most sun

I have tried feeding the lawn (in the spring and autumn), I have aerated it, I have reseeded with a seed that is supposed to be OK in damp conditions, but I can't seem to get the patches to fill in. What is there grows very quickly so i don't think it's poor soil.

The only think i haven't been able to do is regular (more than once a month to fortnight) mowing of the lawn

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should no next?

20180425_190638.jpg 20180425_190646.jpg 20180425_190835.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I believe you answered your own question. Grass will stress if allowed to grow more than a couple of inches between each cut.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Most definitely learn how to ph test your soil.

I stole this off the web for you; " The pH scale is logarithmic and as a result, each whole pH value below 7 is ten times more acidic than the next higher value. For example, pH 4 is ten times more acidic than pH 5 and 100 times (10 times 10) more acidic than pH 6. The same holds true for pH values above 7, each of which is ten times more alkaline (another way to say basic) than the next lower whole value. For example, pH 10 is ten times more alkaline than pH 9 and 100 times (10 times 10) more alkaline than pH 8."

In other words a little movement goes a long way toward giving your grass what it wants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
@PaulC are there any water loving plants nearby? We live near Manchester (therefore lots of rain!) but we have a Yew tree in our lawn and a conifer nearby, and they are both very thirsty. We didn't get our lawn looking good until we started watering and cutting it regularly.

P.S. Welcome to the forum! :)

Ask a Question