Passion fruit Problems

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Philippines
It sounds melodramatic, doesn't it? I am a bit worried about our vines though. I grew them from a fallen fruit last year- I didn't even know it was a passion fruit til I opened it up. I'm happy to say that we've gotten 6-7 vines out of those seeds. They're growing, but since this is the first time I've ever planted passion fruit, I don't really know what to do to get them to flourish and bear fruit.

So far, we've only been trimming the vines to make them sturdier, but their stems still look a little spindly. Does anyone have any experience with this particular fruit?

Reaction score
Passion fruit are heavy feeders and drink lots of water. They won't produce fruit if they are dry so make sure that you water well and mulch around the plants. Fertilizers high in nitrogen will inhibit the plant's ability to flower so use compost, well rotted cow manure, or chicken manure. They really only need to be fertilized twice a season, after pruning and fruiting. Also they have to have at minimum of five hours of sunlight each day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Philippines
Thank you for the info! I'll keep what you said in mind. The soil we used is a bit on the dry side so I may water it twice a day now, especially in this heat. I'll also have to go and get some proper compost, maybe some coconut husks to slow down water evaporation. Happily, the vines get as much sunlight as they want, so that's one out of three.

Ask a Question