Passion Fruit is Hollow!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
So, I have three different vines, red, purple and blue. The red has barely flowered, but sometimes the purple (maypop) and blue (carulea) have flowers at the same time and I can cross pollinate by hand. I went out one day and noticed a bunch of gulf fritillary caterpillars on the blue, then realized it also had fruit. Long story short, I moved all the caterpillars and waited for the fruit to ripen.

One fruit was partially eaten by something - probably a snail, the second to ripen was hollow. The vine keeps making fruit and I'm waiting for them to ripen again. Does anyone know why they have been hollow so far?

Reaction score
Thank you so much for moving the caterpillars instead of killing them like many users on here have suggested other gardens, you have a great hart and are so respectful of nature :) Thanks a lot! As for your question, I'm not an expert, but I think it would help the experts on here a lot if they could see a picture of your wines and the fruits.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thank you so much for moving the caterpillars instead of killing them like many users on here have suggested other gardens, you have a great hart and are so respectful of nature :) Thanks a lot! As for your question, I'm not an expert, but I think it would help the experts on here a lot if they could see a picture of your wines and the fruits.

They were gulf fritillary butterfly caterpillars. It's the first time I have had them in my yard and I moved them to a) protect the vine, and b) protect the caterpillars from wasps. I have all these host and nectar plants, but the caterpillars never make it because the wasps keep getting them. I need to set up a new butterfly habitat, but I've had other things going on.

This photo is from July - as you can see, it was before I removed the caterpillars.

10955286_10206791343599870_5887121882301093508_n.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Pardon me but caterpillars are pest to the plants. I understand that some people love caterpillars on the notion that they become butterflies (or moths) but they eat the plants. Look at the pic, the leaves are destroyed by the pest. If you will not completely eradicate the caterpillar then your passion fruit will just remain a passion and no fruit at all because the pests had eaten the insides already.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Pardon me but caterpillars are pest to the plants. I understand that some people love caterpillars on the notion that they become butterflies (or moths) but they eat the plants. Look at the pic, the leaves are destroyed by the pest. If you will not completely eradicate the caterpillar then your passion fruit will just remain a passion and no fruit at all because the pests had eaten the insides already.

Did you miss the part where I said I relocated the caterpillars? I removed them from the vine to protect both it and the larvae. I have multiple plants FOR THE BUTTERFLIES. I only removed them from this vine because it is so small and I didn't want it completely chewed up. I have three other passion vines; two purple and one red.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I had lots of passion fruit and it does need water to make the insides fleshy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Did you miss the part where I said I relocated the caterpillars? I removed them from the vine to protect both it and the larvae. I have multiple plants FOR THE BUTTERFLIES. I only removed them from this vine because it is so small and I didn't want it completely chewed up. I have three other passion vines; two purple and one red.

No, I did not miss that part where you said you relocated the caterpillar. I admire your kindness to the insect but over here, we are more concerned with our plants and caterpillars are considered plant pests. There's a prairie nearby where the butterflies can hatch their eggs so they should not intrude with our plants. If you will not eradicate those caterpillars then you have to monitor it every 2 hours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
No, I did not miss that part where you said you relocated the caterpillar. I admire your kindness to the insect but over here, we are more concerned with our plants and caterpillars are considered plant pests. There's a prairie nearby where the butterflies can hatch their eggs so they should not intrude with our plants. If you will not eradicate those caterpillars then you have to monitor it every 2 hours.

I have butterfly plants for butterflies. Over here we are just as concerned with providing a place for beneficial pollinators to visit our gardens and to thrive in them. I live in the city, there is no prairie anywhere around here. Butterflies and humming birds provide just as much pleasure as do flowers. I don't need to eradicate anything I have invited to my yard.

Ask a Question