Parthenocarpic Cucumber Variety

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Hello,

I have a closed-screen patio, so I don't have any pollinators. All of my plants are grown in containers. Since I don't have pollinators, I was told that I should grow parthenocarpic varieties of cucumbers. Diva was the name of one suggested to me.

I sowed the seeds in a large container around late July to early August. I thinned to 2 plants The plants foliage grew well. However, on one plant:
it also grew a bunch of female flowers, but they all shriveled up and died. None of them grew to more than 1.5 inches long. It is still growing more female flowers, but none of them grow past that length. So around 25 baby cucumbers that never grew. Every week, more and more female flowers are growing, but none of them grow past 1.5 inches long. Except for one (only 1) fruit that actually grew on the plant:

vms1jicnBxWlykBr3Nidtb67fBCaFcwSRMqR2poatKxA8xIN0QeKLYPadai5Wmu9vwNqs4l94juVFfLCqfv8UyNlF7bZbowFOnfHi60hgXqUfCHZEBTF2uz5YoCJ9sR0wbOuCexU0Y3JANkkU2dPikh1wjD7BbcUuelXMPxJWWnDwejDYQkzZ3TJInJJNzqsdYQKX-81RpqJyqAPzw01TZR-3ah_8UF8NRJqMw0meMZnZZtY03b84EY5kER0qlgCEJMRRTk3A41xjHWb3dWVjjDcBOv7Aj4XxV-LCD8CoDUNiOC84xDSLiY-LJP6itAiIiKBsGd7e5SNDZkSRtQu479UKdUy8Gf32sfQgcrrPMfJk7gTkUGW3-r1cz6gLgK3LuYhzadvc-tgzKmvO7g4euJlX8XfHoiw0FuOlQ79fI4jK3Xx6Z9laawOEvPCzeE6yFZ3dhPCXHQmEKpocDN5up89l4vhjcq7zdO5M4SwTdnB4zw-7F5w_YsGOuoHvAj-xwVhzvAWyM5FbtUJiYTGYZvUXNI-XTsyuZEPTUd0Sl38vMKJbzEPZPhNMJelcPLsMu4qHgz-Ha_qPY5LrQ2XXNPpHKphFvQ-MbXD9H43gllA67-WJRQG7Y01e1GFzmLVzL1WIVBwnUiBMLxzHEM4XjYTtXzEcXBsmIaKt7_v2IXG1tWe_DxJ9x_TJbWa1ah0Igt1Ts616sLR2iJGzZ-mDPlt=w703-h937-no

On the second plant:

I only had male flowers for around 2 months, after which I got some female flowers. Was the plant even supposed to have male flowers?

Note both of the plants were sowed from seeds from the same seed packet.

This is what the plants look like:
50V1-DP2o_MCS6axZ2VUwH-tpV9bc3kG6-rryFHMQ8DI5rnJjYF6OsdwC6egg91Q28pDLCK9aEebDRlZeQJIXPrjlamrCRXvrKIqeH9OEt92IIPiRqXREugFWmI2nNYKJKd33kkS6s3hFkf1bliHaYoDSPq9uL9Ny4_Bkfb6W9bxOS-7-mNN0-52UZ95Xfl3J9C--nrraA-aVBNlyubj7z95oKez4MKYKHN-gINM0GXurCgu81XcD0bs9jmlgSGjp2aYn451wkNsjrifiYPoxMqdDMdlCPdAs76a1psjo6Hp1lwi1SfBHz3kP_jQp_QWZReMQAEhx3lstDYUku3X6rOXZJEOGzx-o6lbP71AoPHchMbXqftPHVSI8tvkbcmHvzM6Fi6C21btzbVfLSV4G9u6EuthIFFwdhly8T79ZJi3S_eG_KRlVdXx6pMpos2wj1AQyKsXZT78bSUiVXQYNrbrR5i8JalyXJULBirreqzUkhlK2sbWsL67cLFhfnJ6UIdPRS9EaDaMEPWRUhf8vRpxdtip2rrp-xDDlmBzM4aOGwVdP3bcNjSoLXBgj5QCa3dbfgj-Sabh5m6aMOLzF5Z9hGwDtCiYxrOHxIFpxE_nXQmmh30bLDIgsSMAnRKgHsCUKqLkp04rIba1Ez7M7Urxcu-TwJ75RlfYy1euAQ8eb0Rq06LnnKqEoIQKRJrbRan-VjV-Sgfs6ylF3UNIWbg3=w703-h937-no

If you have grown Diva, any parthenocarpic variety before, or even if you haven't but you have some input/suggestions. I would greatly appreciate it.

Based on the pictures of the fruit, plant, and all the other strange occurrences, do you think I received the incorrect seed from the seed company, which could explain why none of the cucumbers grew past 1.5 inches long if the seed company send me a non-parthenocarpic variety?

Or do you think something else went wrong?

I truly appreciate all help! Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Gynoecious cucumbers=Mostly female flowers. Pollinators required
Parthenocarpic cucumbers=No Pollinators required. Has some male flowers
Monocious cucumbers=Male and female flowers and pollinators required.

Diva variety cucumbers are BOTH gynoecious AND parthenocarpic.
All you can do is get more seed from a different company and plant again

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States

If diva cucumbers a gynoecious (which says pollinators required) and parthenocarpic (which says no pollinators required), then do they need pollinators or not?

Reaction score
Country
United States
If diva cucumbers a gynoecious (which says pollinators required) and parthenocarpic (which says no pollinators required), then do they need pollinators or not?
In theory, they do not need pollinators, because parthenogenic female flowers will form fruit without pollination, but in practice this doesn't seem to always give desired results as you've seen.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

A little confusing, do individual plants have both qualities, or does an individual have either quality, but only one of them? From what the OP says I guess the latter. I am a little surprised pollinators don't get in, my experience is that I find dead insects on the windowsills of what would appear to be totally sealed rooms, but I guess the real answer is to pollinate them yourself as Marck suggests.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States

What will be different if I get it from a different company?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
In theory, they do not need pollinators, because parthenogenic female flowers will form fruit without pollination, but in practice this doesn't seem to always give desired results as you've seen.
Are there any cucumber varieties that don't need any pollinators? If so, what are some of them called? I tried hand pollination with a paintbrush many times before, but it rarely (<10% of the time) seems to work.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are there any cucumber varieties that don't need any pollinators? If so, what are some of them called? I tried hand pollination with a paintbrush many times before, but it rarely (<10% of the time) seems to work.
Well, those would be parthenocarpic varieties. You can continue to experiment with different growing conditions and parthenocarpic cultivars and see if you achieve greater success.

To hand-pollinate successfully you will have to check every day. You need to catch the female flowers when the stigma is receptive to pollen. Don't bother with parthenocarpic plants. grow regular monoecious cucumbers, so you will have a steady supply of male and female flowers. Have pollination work be part of your regular care schedule, until you have a fertilized crop developing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Well, those would be parthenocarpic varieties. You can continue to experiment with different growing conditions and parthenocarpic cultivars and see if you achieve greater success.

To hand-pollinate successfully you will have to check every day. You need to catch the female flowers when the stigma is receptive to pollen. Don't bother with parthenocarpic plants. grow regular monoecious cucumbers, so you will have a steady supply of male and female flowers. Have pollination work be part of your regular care schedule, until you have a fertilized crop developing.
Thank you for explaining @Marck . Unfortunately, I won't have the time to do so every day. Given that, and the fact that I really don't have pollinators, are cucumbers something I can grow?

BTW, it was a very rainy season.

I can also try growing a different variety as you suggested, I've heard Katrina is heat tolerant, if you have grown that one before.

After all, I thought commercial greenhouses do grow cucumbers many times with no pollination.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Never say never, keep trying with the parthenocarpic cucumbers then. I suggested hand-pollination because I considered it a simple 'fix'. If that won't work for you then I guess not. How many cucumber plants are you trying to grow? I do know most vegetable gardens will require some attention every day ...most days anyway, so spending time hand-pollinating a few plants doesn't seem unreasonable.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Never say never, keep trying with the parthenocarpic cucumbers then. I suggested hand-pollination because I considered it a simple 'fix'. If that won't work for you then I guess not. How many cucumber plants are you trying to grow? I do know most vegetable gardens will require some attention every day ...most days, anyway, so spending time hand-pollinating a few plants doesn't seem unreasonable.
I only have room for two (2) plants that I grow in a container. I just have enough time for watering, applying fertilizer, and pest/disease control. I wish I could hand pollinate, but I know I won't have time to do so.

With parthenocarpic cucumbers, is fruit set unpredictable? We haf a really bad rainy season this year. Do you think that could be a cause of my terrible fruit set?

And is the only thing I can do is plant more seeds and hope for the best?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ultimately, I don't know the reason for your poor crop. It sounds like you did get fruit to begin development, but they did not mature. Insufficient light or heat might explain that. Are your cucumbers growing in a full sun situation? Next year, try several different cultivars of parthenocarpic cucumber (Cucumis sativus). The cultivar 'Diva' may be a poor fit for your growing conditions. Also reach out to other local vegetable growers. They may be able to suggest a cultivar that excels in your local conditions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Ultimately, I don't know the reason for your poor crop. It sounds like you did get fruit to begin development, but they did not mature. Insufficient light or heat might explain that. Are your cucumbers growing in a full sun situation? Next year, try several different cultivars of parthenocarpic cucumber (Cucumis sativus). The cultivar 'Diva' may be a poor fit for your growing conditions.
Okay, thank you for all your help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Ultimately, I don't know the reason for your poor crop. It sounds like you did get fruit to begin development, but they did not mature. Insufficient light or heat might explain that. Are your cucumbers growing in a full sun situation? Next year, try several different cultivars of parthenocarpic cucumber (Cucumis sativus). The cultivar 'Diva' may be a poor fit for your growing conditions. Also reach out to other local vegetable growers. They may be able to suggest a cultivar that excels in your local conditions.
One more thing if you don't mind. The one cucumber that grew, I cut it today. It had seeds!!!
aUKwsAXqhxkbXxVCgKVGOIx-0jp07k6yx0b2ZlGUaADoJwxUGWKZUcxoZU869023XLMWG_E8RyR0I-MO4WHmMLNpXpAQqLHw3tenyWRwLiEX9eOnzlJqvx6JhIRTPdiM2s_3MzX9PUkkt-3smjs-LN2ETBYktKL1VJhClSpA_0fgYe64ErLYH7wmb2wUC-PL85uqNF-pEuSM16FNe1s-JBm2_sGkvDRcjl8Av4RkPM3DALZPaZxN5-yc-AMaQtQb_Pp6-HoVHuGgHhflh4GcBRvlhyPsVr7YHWe-JEzmYj2FXWT9lzOdgAb71Tw_dMu6PdkAWamFfPI9Ii56hqPDBMeFa40Pz_ToP-tD-Pi5v0imMB2B7QzPboYcbIiysVMYIt8H7s0--Aufb8q-KDVcgmM_--5E9eZ2VVR9FamUhxDCaqTags9-0LyrvxJGcLxG8y_HYbPNW0LhSGNwRp83xCfDqXQsqv2cnSaq_c8bujdzo92lzOHAlIKB5yS2yFQwD0lda6SXniiSpvCTClnJazEuWfUCbe-auSGgf19v0mYtbtX1Kjh5eGYyfRtBM3RqA_N1LwRjfGKAAe_vjBGR3lTAk08fhPv_ehMNgFTBsD4nXarqGEVEFeenmYLTSnpydzoWWjL_LGIX24lwPADDc56ihR8ofWpbaJpq-kVQjqRcHACluhbKBlZ_Pb-dAs0yBpu42lGQCf00cCIZOremxuPd=w1250-h937-no

Do you think it somehow got pollinated?
And do you think this has to be related to the fact that it is the only one that grew to full size?

Ask a Question