"Parsnip" weed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anybody know what this is, please (see attached photo)? It grows under our conifer hedge. The roots are similar to parsnips. It sends up tendrils, which climb up the hedge and produce red berries in the summer. I dug a load up this morning. We're in North Nottinghamshire, UK.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20160425_085833.jpg
    IMG_20160425_085833.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 243
Reaction score
Country
United States
This is White Bryony or English Mandrake (Bryonia dioica). It is the only member of the Cucumber Family (Cucurbitaceae) that might be native to the British Isles. The first leaves in Spring look rather different than the later foliage.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many thanks! After 18 years, I finally know what it is, although, having read up on it, I rather wish I didn't!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @Hamish Thorpe, I see nobody answered your question back in 2016, that took a jolly long time didn't it :eek: Welcome to the forums anyway :)
I was born (hundreds of years ago) up there in your neck of the woods in Worksop, we lived in Langold.

Ask a Question