Parsley in Oregano...How?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
I've tried to grow both parsley and oregano a couple times now but they never seem to take off. My parsley gets a few stems with 1 leaf each and the oregano gets to be about an inch tall at the tallest part. I've tried growing them indoors (around 80 deg), in the greenhouse (hot... just hot) and outside (PA weather). Unfortunately it doesn't seem to grow well. I thought these were some of the easier herbs? Perhaps I was wrong. Does anyone have any tricks to make them take off?

Reaction score
You probably need more light. Oregano grows like a weed once it takes off. Have you compared it growing outdoor and indoor. I personally have a harder time growing food/herbs indoor.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Try growing in well drained soil rather than compost, most herbs grow in reasonable poor soils.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Parsley is a cool season crop which will either bolt or die off in hot weather. It will also tolerate less sunlight than some other herbs.
Oregano, on the other hand, loves warmth and sun.
Both should be grown in lean soil (fertilizer results in big, but tasteless, plants) with enough water to keep the soil just slightly damp.
There are several varieties of oregano, and of parsley. Which ones are you growing? Greek oregano seems to be the easiest to grow, and flat-leaf parsley has more taste.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
You probably need more light. Oregano grows like a weed once it takes off. Have you compared it growing outdoor and indoor. I personally have a harder time growing food/herbs indoor.
I didn't compare the growths since they were practically all the same amount. It'd be a minimal difference. There was plenty of light in all cases though, I guarantee that wasn't an issue. Unless it needs more than full sun. :confused:

Try growing in well drained soil rather than compost, most herbs grow in reasonable poor soils.
I tried that doing that at first. I put it outside the garden, beside where we usually grow our flowers. It's not terrible soil, but definitely not filled with compost. After noticing it wasn't growing, I tried planting some in our garden. Our garden isn't exactly the best either yet, it drains pretty quickly.

Parsley is a cool season crop which will either bolt or die off in hot weather. It will also tolerate less sunlight than some other herbs.
Oregano, on the other hand, loves warmth and sun.
Both should be grown in lean soil (fertilizer results in big, but tasteless, plants) with enough water to keep the soil just slightly damp.
There are several varieties of oregano, and of parsley. Which ones are you growing? Greek oregano seems to be the easiest to grow, and flat-leaf parsley has more taste.
Perhaps that's why the parsley wasn't growing for me then. I was trying to grow it in our fairly warm summer.
I actually had worse luck with the oregano so I'm not sure why it was unhappy.

When I tried to plant them in pots, I used potting soil I believe. While not the best, it's usually what I start the plants out in.

I'm pretty sure the parsley was flat leaf "Dark Green" parsley. The oregano I'm not so sure about though. If I remember correctly it just said "oregano" on the package. I seemed to have misplaced all of my seeds from last year though. I wonder if I left them in the greenhouse on accident...

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
When you find them again, try doing a germination test on some damp kitchen towel, to make sure the seed is viable :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
When I grow parsley, I like to start it indoors then after it begins to grow to the height of about a cm, I transfer it to a partly shady spot. I have always grown it in a pot. I have had hardly any success with oregano but have been able to harvest the parsley for at least 3-4 months and have had the best results in cooler weather. I would suggest starting indoors in a well lit place then transferring to a place with indirect light outside. Do not overeater and keep the soil damp but never soggy.

Ask a Question