Panels or Sheets?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm going to be moving next year, and I hope to build a new greenhouse at my new home. I have had a greenhouse at my current home for several years now and I've always covered it in plastic sheets instead of panels since they were cheaper. However, I've had a lot of problems with these sheets as they tend to just split really easily, especially in winter. We've had to replace these sheets nearly every year because of this problem, but the new plastic we've gotten for the greenhouse has survived pretty well this winter so far.

I was wondering, do you prefer panels over sheets? Have the sheets I've bought in the past just been lousy quality?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?HKERY 5 November 2010 Greenhouse on Deck.

I decided to build a large greenhouse on the deck, which doesn’t get much use. The enclosure will be a sun room if appropriate, instead of the canvas structure that use to be there. I have a small 10,000 BTU heater that connects to the barbecue natural gas outlet, so will have some warmth, and will get some use during the Winter months. It took nine days to build by myself, about 72 hours of labor, from 28 of October to 5 November, and cost $1798.63.

Description of the construction. Six, 6 by 6 pillars support the structure. The auxiliary supports are all 2 by 6 spruce planks. Two doors were installed plus a window to ensure reasonably good ventilation. I got the doors free of charge. The slope of the roof is from 8 feet to 7 feet, with a pitch of 1 in 12. Sun is available for about two third of the structure all day. Wood was used to cover the walls where no Sun penetrates. Corrugated SUNTUF UV protected panels was used. It is relatively low cost compared to other coverings, and is almost indestructible. Pictures depict highlights of the method used. Plans were in my head.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I think the best approach is to do a cost benefit analysis. Plastic sheets might be cheaper in the short run but need replacement because of splitting. Therefore, they are expensive in the long run. Cheap can be expensive. But with a little bit more market research, you can get more durable ones at roughly the same same price range. My greenhouse of choice in terms of cost and durability is the Amiran greenhouse kit.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Plastic sheets might be cheaper in the short run but need replacement because of splitting.

There are plastic sheets that do not split. The ones used in my post above last almost indefinitely. Many sold are junk and crack in less than a year of use in the Sun. I had Suntuf on a greenhouse for over ten years without cracking.

Ask a Question