Palo Verde Tree Losing its Blooms and some leaves

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I bought this tree a month ago when it was full of yellow blooms from Moon Valley Nursry. I planted according to their instructions with the recommended additives. I looked great. Then over time the blossoms were lost (normal) but new ones haven't replaced it. Also there is some leaf loss and bare branches as you can see
Palo Verde Tree.JPG
. Can you guys help me figure out if this is a bad sign and what I need to do to make it better?
I hope the picture helps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I bought this tree a month ago when it was full of yellow blooms from Moon Valley Nursry. I planted according to their instructions with the recommended additives. I looked great. Then over time the blossoms were lost (normal) but new ones haven't replaced it. Also there is some leaf loss and bare branches as you can seeView attachment 14300 . Can you guys help me figure out if this is a bad sign and what I need to do to make it better?
I hope the picture helps.
It is probably transplant shock and it will recover. Give it time. If the dead leaves were to stay on the tree, then that is a very bad sign. Please take a picture of the base of the tree

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We brought a small Retama (aka Palo Verde) tree with us when we moved to the farm. We planted it in a corner of the barn lot and it looked sad, really sad--drooping branches, leaf loss, no blooms. The next year it perked up and put out new growth, and then every year after it has grown, bloomed and pricked us every time we mow!
As Chuck said, it is most likely transplant shock. Just remember this is a desert tree and doesn't appreciate over-watering.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Retama in bloom.jpg

Here is our Retama in bloom after four years. They grow fast! Be patient, let it recover from being transplanted, and then let the bees enjoy the blooms!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Hey Marlin, nice tree. looks like you have plenty of room out there in Texas. ;)

Hey Chuck: here is the base of my tree. What you don't see is the riser sprinkler to the left of the frame. it's set to water for 4 minutes each time period
Sun 4am and 11pm
Tuesday 4am and 11pm
Friday 4am and 11pm

Is that too much water? It's pretty hot these days here in SoCal.

Palo Verde Base.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey Marlin, nice tree. looks like you have plenty of room out there in Texas. ;)

Hey Chuck: here is the base of my tree. What you don't see is the riser sprinkler to the left of the frame. it's set to water for 4 minutes each time period
Sun 4am and 11pm
Tuesday 4am and 11pm
Friday 4am and 11pm

Is that too much water? It's pretty hot these days here in SoCal.

View attachment 14320
I am not familiar with that tree as to its water requirements. I wanted to see the base of the tree to make sure it isn't planted too deep. You need to have the trees root flare exposed but from the picture I can't tell for sure. Google root flare. There are a lot of pictures that will show you what it should look like, better than I can explain it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Kevin, as you know a Palo Verde is a desert tree so doesn't need much water. Four minutes of watering could be a quart, or four gallons, depending on the setting of your sprinkler. Can you just turn the sprinkler head off and give the tree a gallon of water a week? That should suffice. Frequent shallow watering leads to shallow roots (they don't need to go deep to get moisture). One deep watering does more good than frequent little waterings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Hey Chuck: will do. Thanks for your help

Hey Marlin: That sounds good. I'll just cap the riser and hand water 1 gallon per week in my calendar.
One quick question: Are the Palo Verde supposed to be bare of blossoms this time of year?

Thanks guys,
I'll post a pic i a few weeks of the progress. I'm glad I found this forum :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Kevin, the Palo Verde, and the Retama bloom off and on, depending on temperatures and rainfall. This time of year I wouldn't expect blossoms. Here in our part of Texas we have 100's in the afternoon, and no rain. I just leave our mature tree alone, figuring it survives in the Chihuahuan desert, it can survive here. A newer tree, especially one recently transplanted, would need a bit more TLC, like the gallon of water I recommended.
And we are glad you found this forum, also!(y)

Ask a Question