P. Allen Smith

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Do you watch any of P. Allen Smith's gardening programs?
P. Allen Smith's Garden Home
P. Allen Smith's Garden to Table
Garden Style

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I watch him sometimes. The secret to his garden is a LOT of money. Did you see the show when he built his garden? Heavy equipment and semi-truck after semi-truck of aged compost and manure. I wonder who does all the work? The only thing I have ever seen him actually do is gather eggs from his hen house and pick a few tomatoes and herbs, walk around and tell us old folks who have been working in a vegetable garden for 60+ years how to do it with nary a hired hand in sight. Sorry if I'm not enamored of the guy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've seen a few, but he's too rich for my blood. Plus, he kind of looks like a guy I used to work with and it gives me the creeps for some reason.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have been watching a few garden shows on PBS, including: P. Allen Smith's Garden Home . I'm not very impressed and I do agree that P. Allen Smith's shows hide a huge support group (and money) behind the scenes.

The show I'm finding more relevant is, Growing a Greener World, not perfect, but more interesting.

https://www.growingagreenerworld.com/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
He is sort of the male Martha Stuart. I admit his gardens are beautiful, but very unrealistic for the normal person. So are the gardens on Garden Answer. Yes, on it they seem to do the work themselves but must have boat loads of money and sponsorship

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
He is sort of the male Martha Stuart. I admit his gardens are beautiful, but very unrealistic for the normal person. So are the gardens on Garden Answer. Yes, on it they seem to do the work themselves but must have boat loads of money and sponsorship

I wish my yard had a sponsors no telling what I would do .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I use to along with the other one the victory garden. For a while it is kind of entertaining then it starts to dawn on you this has nothing to do with the average garden/gardener.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I watched victory garden for years
I did too. I learned some from the gardening sections and got a lot of good recipes from the cooking part. The company I worked for was a sponsor of the Hartford Flower show one year. My boss, knowing I was a Master Gardener assigned me to assist Roger Swain (Victory Garden) in his presentations. It was a ton of fun even if I disagreed with one of his statements. In the Q&A in the first presentation someone asked if you could keep a rosemary alive over the winter in the house in New England. He said no. After the presentation, I told him I had a rosemary at home that was 5 years old, so when the question came up again in the next presentation he looked at me and said I am going to let Lynda answer this one. Talk about being put on the spot!! He gave me a signed copy of his latest book, which after all these years I still have.

Ask a Question