Over wintering Fig Trees in Zone 6

Reaction score
In this video I show you what I used to protect the Fig Trees over winter. Fig trees are typically grown in warmer climates, but the variety Chicago Hardy Fig allows me to grow them in USDA Zone 6.

The following pictures are the Fig Trees I have mulched 4 feet high supported with wire cages and tobacco sticks. Something I do not mention in the video above, is that I will also be putting tarp over top of the cages to protect both Fig trees from snow and colder temperatures.

Original post @ Over wintering Fig Trees in Zone 6
-Cassie K, Vegans Living Off the Land

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Awesome video. Thank you for showing. I wonder if your method would work in areas where it gets below 0 degrees? Another question would be, the mulch and leaves would trap moisture...isn't there a risk of rot or of the roots freezing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is so helpful:) I'll show this video to my parents. They have a few fruit trees in their garden that need to be protected from snow and cold temperatures. Thank you for posting it here.

Reaction score
Awesome video. Thank you for showing. I wonder if your method would work in areas where it gets below 0 degrees? Another question would be, the mulch and leaves would trap moisture...isn't there a risk of rot or of the roots freezing?

Most people, including myself, would assume the moisture from the mulch would rot the tree, but Paul Gautschi of "Back to eden" says this is not the case-- no matter how mulch you mulch your trees. As mentioned, many gardeners in colder climates will mulch an entire Banana trees over winter.

Reaction score
This is so helpful:) I'll show this video to my parents. They have a few fruit trees in their garden that need to be protected from snow and cold temperatures. Thank you for posting it here.

Great! It's a very simple procedure to fill a caged tree with mulch. Then after risk of Frost in Spring, take away the cage and spread mulch away from the base of the tree. Continuing to mulch around trees will encourage new trees to sprout.

Ask a Question