Our grass doesn’t grow in a couple areas

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all! We have been at our home for 3 years in March and we have a spot in our yard that just won’t grow grass well.

We started to use a weasel this morning to get up some of the dead grass. While we were digging and hand picking out onion grass pearls, I decided to dig down to the bottom of a dandelion plant. When I got about 6-7 inches down, I hit something hard. Ended up being a big metal bar that had screws pointing out of it. From our neighbors, there’s been lots of work that has happened in our back yard over the years.

Do you think we should get a metal detector and see if we can find more items that may be preventing healthy grass from growing? we were also told some big trees had been taken down as well around a decade ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also we aren’t looking to grow a lush green perfect lawn, but we do want SOMETHING growing. Even crab grass won’t grow there. I’ve attached a picture of the spot where we worked on it with the weasel. You can see some of the brown areas around it we didn’t get to but they still won’t grow anything. Thanks!

Attachments

• E1A743C0-2046-4D8D-96EB-F87AD3597CF0.jpeg
    E1A743C0-2046-4D8D-96EB-F87AD3597CF0.jpeg
    457.9 KB · Views: 122
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well even though I didn’t get any replies, we figured out what was going on. The direction of the slant of our yard combined with the areas we have used weed killer is the exact pattern of the dead grass. It drains from where we sprayed it into the middle of the yard where it pooled a bit before continuing to drain. We have added lawn dirt with fertilizer as well as grass seeds. Hopefully we can get something to grow now. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Sorry I missed it. Having been a party guilty of burying debris, I can suggest diamond bladed saws as being capable of cutting away anything you wish to remove. One can rent a 14 inch demolition saw that is pretty much unstoppable.

Ask a Question