Our cypress is yellowing

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi everyone,

3 weeks ago, we acquired a small Cypress tree (a Goldcrest if I'm not mistaken). We put it on our West-oriented balcony as we've been told that it needs shade. In addition we've been told to water it moderatly, only when the soil is very dry. Since it rained quite much the last weeks, I've only watered it twice.

However, our cypress is starting to yellow. So there's something that we're definetly doing wrong. Is is saveable? Should we watered it more often? move it to a larget pot? cut down the yellow branches? We're just starting to get our hands on caring for plants and we need your advice. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20211016_100728.jpg
    20211016_100728.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 41
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Do water it somewhat more often than you have been and don't rely on rain to water a container plant. The plant should be in well-drained soil and the soil should partly dry between watering, but I don't advise letting the soil become very dry. Of course, as Fall progresses into Winter less water will be needed, overall. Wait until the plant begins to recover boefore pruning it. Some branches will be truly dead, but others will be alive with only the leaves dead.

Reaction score
Country
France
Hello, Thank you for your answer :) I will try to water it more often and watch it closely. Hoping I could save it!

Ask a Question