Our Cuckoo Clock strikes thirteen!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Our Cuckoo Clock does not strike correctly. Not only does it strike thirteen at times it strikes at odd times. Anyone here who can help? thanks.

cuckooclock.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
It is likely movement needs cleaning and oiling (at the very least). Cuckoo clock movements can be difficult for some repair places and in addition I think many would replace a common movement rather then fix a recent movement that needs work (meaning not work on modern movement )

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Good luck with your cuckoo clock, Grouie. Sounds like it's being a bit contrary.
Speaking of contrary and clocks........ On my verandah where I love to sit and contemplate my garden I have a lovely red clock. It stopped working so replaced movement and hands but hands were all getting caught so I have the face sitting here safely out of harms way to check where the problem lies. I came in this evening to find all the hands twisted and curled outwards!!!, I have a very naughty cat called Pearl and I guess the secondhand ticking away was just too irrestible.
Luckily I find her too irresistible as well.
image.jpg

The seconds hand was beyond repair and so far the clock is keeping time. May be able to put it back together and hang it back outside. I do have a it of a thing about clocks. My house had been called House of Clocks. I like to be able to see the time from all angles, even outside...bit of a worry really. There's one more spot waiting for one more clock and then I'm sure I'll be content...:sneaky:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Deb, Pearl trumps clocks every time! What an adorable cat. I'd forgive her for messing with your clock and just let her enjoy "time."
We have three clocks--none strike at the same time, one bongs at will 13 or 15 or more times, and there is one that is right twice a day (8, either a.m. or p.m.) that we haven't found anyone who can fix it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Our Cuckoo Clock does not strike correctly. Not only does it strike thirteen at times it strikes at odd times. Anyone here who can help? thanks.

View attachment 7299
If you take your clock down and remove the back you can blow the dust out using a can of air, it dose help to clean your Cuckoo once a year by blowing it out. I have 6 Cuckoo's that I clean once a year. You may need to have it checked out by a clock maker or some one who repairs older clocks, but it may not be worth the cost because it can cost more than the clock worth, if the chime doesn't really bother you I say just let it be.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Deb, Pearl trumps clocks every time! What an adorable cat. I'd forgive her for messing with your clock and just let her enjoy "time."
We have three clocks--none strike at the same time, one bongs at will 13 or 15 or more times, and there is one that is right twice a day (8, either a.m. or p.m.) that we haven't found anyone who can fix it.
Thanks Marlingardener. She is lovely but quite naughty really at times ...keeping the theme going. Some say I'm a bit too easy going but living things are more important than things, don't you agree? There's probably one occasion a while ago,when my sons dog, tied up because we were out, chewed my car!!!! Maybe that was a bit much. My poor car looked awful for quite some time but a new plastic light surround was very expensive. Eventually we managed to repair it but are very careful not to leave him tied too close to our cars again. He's lovely as well. Not naughty, just bored I guess!!!! My son would point to the car and ask him if he'd done that and he would half close his eyes and look away. :mad::)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
It is likely movement needs cleaning and oiling (at the very least). Cuckoo clock movements can be difficult for some repair places and in addition I think many would replace a common movement rather then fix a recent movement that needs work (meaning not work on modern movement )
I did send it for repairs. Paid a good sum but it came back worse than before.
I do oil it. What is common and recent movement?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Good luck with your cuckoo clock, Grouie. Sounds like it's being a bit contrary.
Speaking of contrary and clocks........ On my verandah where I love to sit and contemplate my garden I have a lovely red clock. It stopped working so replaced movement and hands but hands were all getting caught so I have the face sitting here safely out of harms way to check where the problem lies. I came in this evening to find all the hands twisted and curled outwards!!!, I have a very naughty cat called Pearl and I guess the secondhand ticking away was just too irrestible.
Luckily I find her too irresistible as well. View attachment 7308
The seconds hand was beyond repair and so far the clock is keeping time. May be able to put it back together and hang it back outside. I do have a it of a thing about clocks. My house had been called House of Clocks. I like to be able to see the time from all angles, even outside...bit of a worry really. There's one more spot waiting for one more clock and then I'm sure I'll be content...:sneaky:
I think you prefer the mischief of your cat than your clock running well. I too had too many clocks but I now have just two. My computer and mobile also help sometimes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I too had two striking clocks both striking at different times. I now only the cuckoo clock that strikes but needs repair. I have stopped it from striking Imagine 13 strikes. :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Thanks Marlingardener. She is lovely but quite naughty really at times ...keeping the theme going. Some say I'm a bit too easy going but living things are more important than things, don't you agree? There's probably one occasion a while ago,when my sons dog, tied up because we were out, chewed my car!!!! Maybe that was a bit much. My poor car looked awful for quite some time but a new plastic light surround was very expensive. Eventually we managed to repair it but are very careful not to leave him tied too close to our cars again. He's lovely as well. Not naughty, just bored I guess!!!! My son would point to the car and ask him if he'd done that and he would half close his eyes and look away. :mad::)
But for some a car is a living thing (lol)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I think you prefer the mischief of your cat than your clock running well. I too had too many clocks but I now have just two. My computer and mobile also help sometimes.
You're absolutely right. She can't really do wrong in my eyes which frustrates some members of the household!!!!! As far as I'm concerned I'm 63, brought up my kids and now I get to be indulgent. :LOL:
I actually managed to get another clock today at the Salvos, second hand and very very cheap ($5.25). It doesn't work of course but we're onto it. If not it is metal and will go into my garden. If it does work I'll be able to see the time when I'm working in the southern corner of my garden. What a relief!!!!:p

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Deb, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your "new" clock runs well.
Slightly off subject, but when I was little I worked in the garden with my daddy. He told time by the sun, something he had learned from his farming daddy. I learned sun-time by osmosis, I guess. I still can look up and be within 15 minutes of the true time. That scared the heck out of my husband until he found I had even scarier traits!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Deb, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your "new" clock runs well.
Slightly off subject, but when I was little I worked in the garden with my daddy. He told time by the sun, something he had learned from his farming daddy. I learned sun-time by osmosis, I guess. I still can look up and be within 15 minutes of the true time. That scared the heck out of my husband until he found I had even scarier traits!

Now that's impressive!!!!!:cool:
:eek:Is this your hubby?

Ask a Question