Ouch! ants are driving me out of my mind and yard!

Reaction score
We have so many ant mounds in the yard and I have no idea what to do. What are the best ways to deal with ants? I have some large mounds that look dead and I have lots of small mounds with activity. I can't do anything in the yard without getting bit and I am so ANGRY, I would shove sticks of dynamite in the mounds and explode them if I thought it would help! What should I do?

Reaction score
I just got myself an organic non toxic spray for ants and one for mealy bugs from the agricultural institute locally. The mealy bugs seemed to spread by the millions each day despite the fact that I cleaned them out and sprayed water on them. Juts two drop of this liquid in one liter water has killed all those pests.. I have the red ant stuff.. which I might need in summer when the and start troubling my plants.
I am sure if you look up product developed by your local agricultural institutes you might find what you need.
I wish I could help.. I have been fight with ants even on my laptop.. :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Put an upside down clay flower pot over the nests, they will move up into it. When they have filled the pot with their nest, slide a thin board under it & relocate to a neighbours garden that you don't like:D

Reaction score
Put an upside down clay flower pot over the nests, they will move up into it. When they have filled the pot with their nest, slide a thin board under it & relocate to a neighbours garden that you don't like:D

OMG, that is hilarious! I can't see me using this technique but I applaud your creativity!

It reminds me to ask: Is there a way to keep ants from moving into container plants?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You'd need to put geotex in the bottom of the pot & then put a ring of vaseline round the outside of the pot.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It could have lots of different names, its basically a permeable weed proof membrane.

You can buy it by the metre in uk garden centres.:)

Reaction score
It could have lots of different names, its basically a permeable weed proof membrane.

You can buy it by the metre in uk garden centres.:)

Thanks! I'm in the USA but I'm sure I can find something similar here.

Will it interfere with drainage if I put it in the bottom of the pot? I guess the vaseline slows them down or traps them, huh?

Reaction score
Are they fire ants ?

Yes, I think so. They are the ones that came from South America and migrated to Florida through Texas, I have heard. They are red, rather large and when they bite it's quite painful. If I put a potted plant on the ground they will infest it. If I put it on a stand or cement block they will sometimes leave it alone, but not always. Mainly, they bother me when I am edging around my house or working in the yard.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks! I'm in the USA but I'm sure I can find something similar here.

Will it interfere with drainage if I put it in the bottom of the pot? I guess the vaseline slows them down or traps them, huh?

No, it lets water thru. Its used as a weed supressing membrane. They don't like walking over the vaseline, similar idea as putting grease bands on fruit trees.

Wish someone had done that to the Carob tree I was eating from, bit into one of the pods & it was full of ants:(

Reaction score
The fire ants I had in Texas were small red ants and stung like fire when they bit you. A friend told me to spray my bites ( I had accidentally stood on a hill once, was covered before I knew it) with brut deoderant, took the sting right away.

Reaction score
My room mate (the homeowner who has lived here many years) says there are tiny ones, too. They may be the one's that bite me when I try to work in the yard. I should pay better attention. I found one on my pant leg recently and he was big and red, so I assumed they all were.

My room mate says the little one's infested the water heater and the pilot light went out! He called the gas company and they came and cleared them out and sprayed that site with insecticide, very thoroughly.

I remember the one's that get in my plants are small but black. Maybe I have multiple types!:mad:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I wont ever forget a job i had doing tree work NW of Fortlauderdale
The fire ants in one complex were so bad they would come up the rake handles to get you ,
Are boss had to call all the crews in , to share the bites and get us out of there

Ask a Question