Oriental poppies in So Cal

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Does anyone out there have any experience growing Oriental Poppies in So Cal? I've been gifted with 3 6-packs that I need to find a home for and I've avoided planting them before because the books say it doesn't grow well here. So, who's been crazy enough to grow them, how well did they do, and what kind of conditions did they do best in?
Help me push the envelope of what's possible and impress the doubtful !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I was hoping someone in Southern California would give me some hints for this area. I know they grow well in areas that get a winter and aren't 100+ during the summer but that ain't here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Okay, a little update on the poppies. 3 of them have survived 115 several times, missed getting sprayed with Round-up and avoided snails.:joyful: So now we get to wait until next spring to see if they bloom as spectacularly as they do in other, more hospitable climates.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well, a little disaster. Despite my alerts to the team, Round-up and vigorous weed-pulling have managed to eliminate the last one.:(:cry: I guess I'll have to try again next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Possibly as early as March. It depends on availability from bedding plant growers. We don't have a 'plan' for them, I just got them last year from a donation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well, it looks like my announcement was premature. One poppy managed to survive!o_O:) It must have been mostly dormant when it got sprayed and has come back, almost from the dead. I showed it to the lead gardener of that area and flagged it, so now it just needs some fertilizer and time to show what it’s capable of.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Well, it looks like my announcement was premature. One poppy managed to survive!o_O:) It must have been mostly dormant when it got sprayed and has come back, almost from the dead. I showed it to the lead gardener of that area and flagged it, so now it just needs some fertilizer and time to show what it’s capable of.
Congratulations! A Poppy is a majestic flower.

Ask a Question