Organic?

Reaction score
I been hearing the term organic for a while now. What is organic and what is the different between regular growing and organic? Do you just not use products and try to grow as natural as possible?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I been hearing the term organic for a while now. What is organic and what is the different between regular growing and organic? Do you just not use products and try to grow as natural as possible?
Organic means using naturally occuring entities and not some man made chemical compound usually based on oil or something derived from oil to grow your plants. Organic doesn't necessarily mean it cannot be manufactured, but it does mean it has to be manufactured from natural substances such as Bt or Spinosad or Neem. Oil is a natural substance but the chemicals derived from it are not. For instance chemical fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides.

Reaction score
You can start an organic garden with organic seeds and seedlings from a health food store or buy them at some gardening centres. These seeds have been saved from vegetables and fruit that have been previously grown under natural condition, which means no man-made compounds have been used while growing them, as Chuck already explained.
To create your own organic garden bed, you can incorporate organic substances, such as animal manure and compost, into your soil to make it richer. To keep it organic, you don't introduce any chemical agents at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I agree with the others. Organic food is made from all natural growing processes without the use of any chemicals or pesticides. Many farmers use stimulants to mass produce food grown and organic food does not get grown in this manner.

Ask a Question