Organic vs conventional lawn care ?

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I had a few questions that I thought would be interesting to ask to the community here:

Do you use an organic or conventional lawn maintenance program ?

If so, what led you to choose your specific program ?

What are your overall thoughts on the idea of having to maintain a lawn ?

What are some other alternative options to a lawn that you have installed or have thought about installing?

Regards,
Kiarnan

Reaction score
I used to do my own lawn maintenance program but several years ago I started paying someone to do it. I chose the company based on the success my neighbors had with the company and he is a local small company guy. If I am ever not satisfied or I see weeds in the lawn I just call and he comes back out and sprays again for free. I have never used organic fertilizer or program for that matter, never really saw the benefit since I don't use organic throughout the rest of the yard. The only place I practice organic gardening is in my vegetable garden which we only use organic fertilizers.

My alternative to a lawn is to constantly expand my landscaping, but that brings it's own challenges b/c it takes longer to weed. I will have removed about 2/3 of my grass from the backyard by expanding the landscaping this year. Every year I take a little more.

Reaction score
Well for me personally I figure that if it is best for you to eat as naturally as you can, it should be the same for your yard as well. Not to mention that if you have furry friends like I do most pesticides are lethal so natural is always better when it comes to that.

Also I think it's better because most the chemicals out there end up helping your yard in one way but then cause some major problems later. For example my weed killer that I just used not too long ago it ended up killing some of the grass that I had in my yard. So I would really rather go as natural as I can and they work just as well if not better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I love my chicken litter but that's as organic as I get
When spraying chemical's you need to know what all it kills and what you want to kill
Just spray what you want to treat

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Get rid of the monoculture. Drop the lawn and go for a wild garden. Feel free to write to me if you want more information on this or if you need any help.

If you are really set on it, there are lawn grass alternatives. Feel free to write to me if you need this information.

If you have your mind completely fixed on a conventional lawn there are non-synthetic organic alternatives to fertilizing lawn. Feel free to write to me if you need this information.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't use any spray on my lawn or weed in the yard. Since having children and pet, I avoid any kind of chemicals. We just cut the grass and leave them to fertilize the lawn. For garden area, I use used ground coffee, eggshells and banana peels!

Ask a Question