Organic Green Onion Growing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
We routinely buy organic green onions. Can I raise a small crop using the ones from the market? If so, how? And can they be planted in a flower bed?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
If you replant a store bought onion it'll divide up into 2/3 spring onions, but they will be on a mission to go to seed.

Best to get some onion sets at this time of year, bit late to grow them from seed :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
I put two in about an inch of water and they are growing roots. Is this good to do before planting?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My mom taught me to just chopped off the white part of the onion, and stick them in the soil. They grow in container and in my flower garden as well. Very easy to grow! I bought 1 bunch of green onion at the beginning of spring, and just use the white parts to re-grow them, and I was able to have it all summer long.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We have wild onions growing all over our yards in this part of my state. I've picked them and used the greens to top baked potato and salads, though the bulb itself is very small. I considered replanting this in my garden - but after reading, it sounds like it will never fully develop an entire (large) onion bulb.

Onions and garlic are high on my to-grow list. I know they aren't difficult but I just haven't done it yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just thought I would post a picture of my mom's gigantic green onion here for you to see. She let this grown just to see the flowers!
IMG_0125.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
the ultimate organic onion is the Ramp, and this weekend there are numerous ramp festivals in the Carolinas and East Tennessee. They are so strong when cooked or fried, that my mom would make us change our clothes outside and often burn them to get rid of the smell, it is that pungent.

I like them fried, in a spot of bacon grease, and with scrambled eggs. I have eaten them raw like you would a regular green onion, but one needs to be prepared. It is not a taste like any other I have had. They can be really great in stews, especially game meats or root vegetable based, like rutabaga or potatoes in a dark, hearty soup. If you get the chance to try them, it is limited experience, as many never get the chance.

Look for a ramp festival near you. Onions are mellow by comparison.

Ask a Question