Organic gardening

Reaction score
Are there any organic gardeners over here who would like to give me some tips? I'd like to get started on organic gardening, what do I need to know? What do I need to get? I'd like to be able to get rid of all sorts of pests in a natural way. I'd also like to be able to create my own organic fertilizer :) Is that even possible? Your help will be highly appreciated.

Karen

Reaction score
I'm not specifically an "organic" gardener yet. I'm still learning a lot. However one thing I have found is that many of the seeds you buy are GMO'd just as our grocery store produce is. There's a pretty lengthy list floating around online of non-seminis seed companies (Seminis is the largest seed producer in the US...it's also owned by Monsanto).

Jed

Reaction score
I generally grow what is called organically but there are some lines some growers wont cross. For instance I use builders lime to raise pH but others wouldn't have a bar of it. I also use a small amount of roundup only to control a nasty deep rooted weed which grows mostly outside the garden beds and is difficult to remove and halt it's relentless march. Californian/creeping thistle. No food is grown in those small areas and I mean small. Would I consider myself as an organic gardener well maybe only 99%. So it's up to you to make your own rules and find tips from others.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
From my experience to be a successful organic gardener the better your soil the better your success. If you haven't made your beds yet for next year start laying down cardboard (donot leave any gaps in the cardboard) covering it with whatever your cheapest composted mulch is (not hay...too many seeds). Where I live it is composted bark, but other parts of the country it might be straw or pine needles. I started doing this several years ago for new beds and since I didn't stir up old weed seeds the beds are still almost weed free. I couldn't believe even some big dandelions were gone. New weeds are just small blown in seedlings. The beds have been really easy to maintain with this method. By spring any weeds or grass will be dead under the cardboard and the critters in the soil will have transformed the cardboard and much of the mulch into soil. I just scape small spaces to put in transplants and seeds. Try to keep your beds no wider than what you can reach half way (3-4 feet) for ease of care.

If your soil is really clay or rocky you might have to use raised beds, and you start off the same way, but use what is now called the lasagne method. You add leaves and other organics that you can find to build soil to the level of your beds.

With lots of organics in my soil, crop rotation and trap plants I haven't found a need for using even safe organic sprays, or fertilizers. I've come to believe good soil is really the key to a great garden. Just one way to do it. I know there are a lot of other ways. Try what you think will work best for you.

Reaction score
I'm not specifically an "organic" gardener yet. I'm still learning a lot. However one thing I have found is that many of the seeds you buy are GMO'd just as our grocery store produce is. There's a pretty lengthy list floating around online of non-seminis seed companies (Seminis is the largest seed producer in the US...it's also owned by Monsanto).

Thanks for the tip, it's such a shame most seeds are GMO :( I never thought things were this bad, this is really scary. I rather not think about the things I guy from the grocery store, that's why I'd like to start learning about organic gardening. I owe it to my family :) Plus, I really think that knowing a couple things about organic gardening and gardening in general can be really useful :)

Reaction score
I generally grow what is called organically but there are some lines some growers wont cross. For instance I use builders lime to raise pH but others wouldn't have a bar of it. I also use a small amount of roundup only to control a nasty deep rooted weed which grows mostly outside the garden beds and is difficult to remove and halt it's relentless march. Californian/creeping thistle. No food is grown in those small areas and I mean small. Would I consider myself as an organic gardener well maybe only 99%. So it's up to you to make your own rules and find tips from others.

99% is good enough :) I'd consider myself a 40% :p That's why I'm trying to learn from you guys. Thanks a lot for the useful tips, I never thought lime could be used to raise pH! Mind if I ask where or how you learnt all this? Is there a book you'd recommend me or something like that? I really want to learn more about organic gardening, so far I've learnt aspirin and cinnamon can be used as a natural alternative to the chemical rooting hormone :)

Reaction score
From my experience to be a successful organic gardener the better your soil the better your success. If you haven't made your beds yet for next year start laying down cardboard (donot leave any gaps in the cardboard) covering it with whatever your cheapest composted mulch is (not hay...too many seeds). Where I live it is composted bark, but other parts of the country it might be straw or pine needles. I started doing this several years ago for new beds and since I didn't stir up old weed seeds the beds are still almost weed free. I couldn't believe even some big dandelions were gone. New weeds are just small blown in seedlings. The beds have been really easy to maintain with this method. By spring any weeds or grass will be dead under the cardboard and the critters in the soil will have transformed the cardboard and much of the mulch into soil. I just scape small spaces to put in transplants and seeds. Try to keep your beds no wider than what you can reach half way (3-4 feet) for ease of care.

If your soil is really clay or rocky you might have to use raised beds, and you start off the same way, but use what is now called the lasagne method. You add leaves and other organics that you can find to build soil to the level of your beds.

With lots of organics in my soil, crop rotation and trap plants I haven't found a need for using even safe organic sprays, or fertilizers. I've come to believe good soil is really the key to a great garden. Just one way to do it. I know there are a lot of other ways. Try what you think will work best for you.

Thanks, Jewel! That was a really informative answer! I loved the technique you described, I think I'll have a great soil to work with. So far this has been one of my biggest problems, because I've been taking care of some plants for a while now, but I still consider myself a total and absolute amateur. My future father in law is an expert gardener (he worked doing that), but I'm not sure if he's into organic gardening or not.

I'm really happy I joined this forum, I've learnt so much... may I ask where you learnt all those things you know about organic gardening and gardening in general? It's all from experience or you read some really good book? So far I've learnt that aspirin can be used to root cuttings!! I learnt this in this forum :)

I really appreciate the help :) Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, it's such a shame most seeds are GMO :( I never thought things were this bad, this is really scary. I rather not think about the things I guy from the grocery store, that's why I'd like to start learning about organic gardening. I owe it to my family :) Plus, I really think that knowing a couple things about organic gardening and gardening in general can be really useful :)

I completely agree!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thanks, Jewel! That was a really informative answer! I loved the technique you described, I think I'll have a great soil to work with. So far this has been one of my biggest problems, because I've been taking care of some plants for a while now, but I still consider myself a total and absolute amateur. My future father in law is an expert gardener (he worked doing that), but I'm not sure if he's into organic gardening or not.

I'm really happy I joined this forum, I've learnt so much... may I ask where you learnt all those things you know about organic gardening and gardening in general? It's all from experience or you read some really good book? So far I've learnt that aspirin can be used to root cuttings!! I learnt this in this forum :)

I really appreciate the help :) Thanks a lot!

You asked how I have learned. The sorry truth is I am old and have been gardening for ages. Living in the same house for 30 years my garden/yard has seen many transformations.

I also read and participate in lots of gardening forums and through the ages have read and collected gardening books. I also consider myself an amateur. I started out with traditional gardening, then went on to doing the double dig method, but will never do more than mulch, mulch, mulch now. Cardboard is one of the best mulches for starting new beds and will make what mulch you have go really far.

Here is a YouTube article on Ruth Stout
. If you aren't familiar with her methods you might want to take a peek. And another written article on her. http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/ruth-stouts-system.aspx#axzz2cYAvGTSO

For seeds you might want to go with open pollinated varieties that you can save seeds from. There are a lot out there. I use Territorial Seeds and always love browsing Seed Savers Exchange. I have found that seeds I have saved for myself have gotten better for my location after only a few seasons.

Good luck with your garden and trust yourself. Nature has a way of giving us the best and the worst so don't get discouraged. I figure nature is just teaching me to go with the flow.

Reaction score
You asked how I have learned. The sorry truth is I am old and have been gardening for ages. Living in the same house for 30 years my garden/yard has seen many transformations.

I also read and participate in lots of gardening forums and through the ages have read and collected gardening books. I also consider myself an amateur. I started out with traditional gardening, then went on to doing the double dig method, but will never do more than mulch, mulch, mulch now. Cardboard is one of the best mulches for starting new beds and will make what mulch you have go really far.

Here is a YouTube article on Ruth Stout
. If you aren't familiar with her methods you might want to take a peek. And another written article on her. http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/ruth-stouts-system.aspx#axzz2cYAvGTSO

For seeds you might want to go with open pollinated varieties that you can save seeds from. There are a lot out there. I use Territorial Seeds and always love browsing Seed Savers Exchange. I have found that seeds I have saved for myself have gotten better for my location after only a few seasons.

Good luck with your garden and trust yourself. Nature has a way of giving us the best and the worst so don't get discouraged. I figure nature is just teaching me to go with the flow.

First of all... thanks for taking the time to share that video with me :) It was a rather interesting to watch. Second: Thanks a lot for the words of encouragement! I think it's amazing you learnt everything you know about gardening mostly by experience. Because I know that books and gardening books can be really helpful, but nothing beats first hand experience! You've been taking care of a garden for 30 years, I think that's admirable! You must feel such a huge passion for gardening! My mother wouldn't even last one day!

I felt interested in gardening because the hard work I was doing in the garden helped me to keep my mind off things :) I also loved the fact my hard work was paying off! To be honest I don't have a lot experience working with the soil directly, up until now I've been working with pots mostly :p But once I move out from this place I plan to have my own garden (depending how big my new home is). Meanwhile I'm just learning :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
First of all... thanks for taking the time to share that video with me :) It was a rather interesting to watch. Second: Thanks a lot for the words of encouragement! I think it's amazing you learnt everything you know about gardening mostly by experience. Because I know that books and gardening books can be really helpful, but nothing beats first hand experience! You've been taking care of a garden for 30 years, I think that's admirable! You must feel such a huge passion for gardening! My mother wouldn't even last one day!

I felt interested in gardening because the hard work I was doing in the garden helped me to keep my mind off things :) I also loved the fact my hard work was paying off! To be honest I don't have a lot experience working with the soil directly, up until now I've been working with pots mostly :p But once I move out from this place I plan to have my own garden (depending how big my new home is). Meanwhile I'm just learning :)

Gardening is a way of .... Well I can't honestly call it relaxation. Maybe just a way of connecting with the world around me. Even a small city lot, or gardening on a balcony there is such a connection to nature.

Don't underestimate pot gardening. Our last move to this home I swear I had more potted plants than furniture. LOL. I still have a wide variety of pots some with permanent plants (trees I want to keep patio sized and sedums and semps) and some in constant rotation (new plants that are small and I don't want to loose, or am thinking about where to place). This year I even planted sunset, scarlet and painted lady runner beans in large pots.
image.jpg
Here is a photo of the sunsets on the south side of the shack in pots with petunias. The shed is new and hadn't closed up the foundation or set the bricks for the step when I planted them. Pots with climbers seemed like the best bet until we could get the foundation and beds done this fall. We are getting a bumper crop of green beans. It was the first time I'd grown runners in pots.
image.jpg
I think they have the prettiest flower.

Jed

Reaction score
99% is good enough :) I'd consider myself a 40% :p That's why I'm trying to learn from you guys. Thanks a lot for the useful tips, I never thought lime could be used to raise pH! Mind if I ask where or how you learnt all this? Is there a book you'd recommend me or something like that? I really want to learn more about organic gardening, so far I've learnt aspirin and cinnamon can be used as a natural alternative to the chemical rooting hormone :)
You had me stumped on the recommendation of a book. I haven't read one from cover to cover since my early days of gardening. I remember a series of Earth Garden magazines by Keith Smith that really changed my life. That was 40 years ago. I see he still publishes books.
I did however come across this one that I reckon for the price and number of pages would be worth looking at. Don't let the name put you off.:)
http://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/Organic-Gardening-For-Dummies-UK-Edition-Sue-Fisher/9781119977063

Ask a Question