Oregano lower leaves turning yellow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This is probably the third or fourth year that this oregano plant has made a full comeback, coming back either the same size or larger than before (I'm zone 7a)

Overall the plant looks healthy, and the buds are about to open and flower, but the lower two sets of leaves on some stems are yellow/pale green and seem to be dying and I'm curious if this is an overall indicator of a nutrition/water issue I can correct for.

I fertilized maybe once in late spring and tend not to fertilize herbs more than once during the growing season (2-3-1 fish emulsion). In the absence of rain I'll water twice a week. Let me know your thoughts!

Attachments

• IMG_20200626_174037.jpg
    IMG_20200626_174037.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20200626_174050.jpg
    IMG_20200626_174050.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 227
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is probably the third or fourth year that this oregano plant has made a full comeback, coming back either the same size or larger than before (I'm zone 7a)

Overall the plant looks healthy, and the buds are about to open and flower, but the lower two sets of leaves on some stems are yellow/pale green and seem to be dying and I'm curious if this is an overall indicator of a nutrition/water issue I can correct for.

I fertilized maybe once in late spring and tend not to fertilize herbs more than once during the growing season (2-3-1 fish emulsion). In the absence of rain I'll water twice a week. Let me know your thoughts!
You plant is in the beginning stage of chlorosis. The leaves are beginning to yellow with the veins still green. This is a sign of a mineral deficiency, not NPK. I would use either Chelated Iron or Liquid Seaweed as a soil drench. Chelated Iron works faster than the seaweed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Right, probably a case of this soil getting naturally depleted over time I reckon given the multiple years of it growing in the same spot.

Thanks for the pointers Chuck!

Ask a Question