Oregano in a container?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Has anyone purchased an Oregano plant and then proceeded to put it in a pot? This is my first experience with herbs in my kitchen window. I brought home Oregano and Cilantro at the same time with out doing any prior research, haha impulse buy! Needless to say my Cilantro ended up dying and now it looks as though my Oregano needs a little help. Anyone have any tips for these two herbs, for the next time I decide to impulse shop at the feed store?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cilantro is a cool weather plant, so wrong time of year. Oregano likes to be on the dry side. If you updated your profile to show us where you live and your hardiness zone we could be of more help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well no wonder as soon as I planted the Cilantro in my vegetable garden, it decided to wilt away. The poor plant didn't even make it through the evening before it was gone. My Oregano that I have in the kitchen may be getting too much water. Thank you for the input, I would hate to see my last surviving herb wilt away as well. I have updated my profile a little so hopefully you will be able to see my hardiness zone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Wow, that is interesting. I didn;t know cilantro was a cool weather crop. I mean it is used so often in Mexican food, ergo. they must grow it there. I mean it could be somewhat cool in the higher elevations in Mexico, and I think that it is, but most of it certainly isn't! I love cilantro by the way. I should try to grow that sometime.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I have to say that I think @Chuck convinced me to finally upload or update my hardiness zone, and I really did not think that it would mean more personalized help but I guess it does. For your issue, though, it looks like @Chuck did seem to answer why they were not working for you, and sometimes these impulse buys just require us to learn as we go, which is certainly not a bad thing. I hope that the next time goes smoothly and you get your herbs...thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
I've always grown oregano in a container and we've always used it as a natural remedy for cough. It is certainly one of the easiest to grow. I have several pots here that are planted with oregano. Whenever a plant matures, I would just cut a branch and plant it on another pot. They grow fast, too so we never run out of stock.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I'm glad I read this thread before getting started planting my herbs. A lot of this information is going to come in very handy for me. I don't have too much space to grow herbs in my garden, but i'm looking forward to a few plants in the kitchen. That's what I'm going to start with.

Ask a Question