Orchids

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
My wife likes orchids, particularly white ones. I buy them for her from time to time, paying between ten and fifteen pounds for them. When they've died off they are moved to the kitchen window sill, some produce new growth again, but half don't.

It was her birthday last week, I don't buy her things, I gave up to avoid the possible response, "That's lovely darling...err did you keep the receipt?"

It's arrangement with which we are both happy.

So for decades I've told her, "Order what you like, tell me how much and I'll give you the money", but I always get her a nice card.
It was her birthday towards the end of last month, so the usual arrangement was in place

A few days ago she said, "I've ordered two orchids, for my birthday can you put £120 in my account?" I thought that was rather a lot of money for two orchids, but it was what she wanted. So I said "OK."
They arrived today before she got up. I unpacked them very carefully and put them with one I'd bought her two weeks ago.

They didn't look that good for the money.

Here they are complete with their clear pots which orchids prefer, together with moss to keep the compost damp, either side of one I bought her a few weeks ago.

P1050534.JPG

It was only when I'd set them on the table that I realised they were artificial. They'll save me a lot of money!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I must admit that the creation of artificial plants is a sophisticated artform, albeit on a mass-market scale. They sometimes can easily fool the eye, until a close inspection is made. However, despite the artistry, my reaction is always to recoil rather than admire. The lack of authenticity and the desire for permanence without any care or culture is so disheartening. You joke about watering them, but you will need to apply water eventually, to remove the build-up of dust.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I must admit that the creation of artificial plants is a sophisticated artform, albeit on a mass-market scale. They sometimes can easily fool the eye, until a close inspection is made. However, despite the artistry, my reaction is always to recoil rather than admire. The lack of authenticity and the desire for permanence without any care or culture is so disheartening. You joke about watering them, but you eventually will need to apply water eventually, to remove the build-up of dust.

"Recoil" as far as you like, it makes no difference to me.

As they say, "each to their own."

I think I do my bit regarding gardening and flowers.

If you buy decent quality arrangements, they can enhance your environment.

We've two other artificial arrangements.

This on the landing on the stairs,

P1020163.JPG

The peace lilies in the hanging baskets are real.

P1030371.JPG

And this in the art deco fireplace in the lounge, my wife designed.

P1000971.JPG

We've even got remote controlled artificial candles.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You and your wife sound like you've got each other figured out. Orchids are my favorite flower, so artificial orchids are my favorite artificial flower.

Ask a Question