Orange oil

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Orange oil or D-Limonene is a very effective organic means of eleminating underground insects such as ants, larvae and other biting sucking insects such as spidermites. Also orange oil is one of the best if not the best household cleaners there has ever been. It can be used as a spray or soil drench. When using to eliminate pests dilute to 2 oz per gallon of water and add 1 oz of molasses. As a household cleaner do not use over 2 oz per gallon of water as it can melt finishes on your floors and furniture. It is also an excellent way to remove oil and grease from just about anything. If used as a cleaner do not add molasses.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Any good for vine weevils?
No. Use Bacillus Thuringiensis. You will probably have better luck with the powerded form called Dipel dust. Bt, by far is the recommended organic way to eliminate vine borers and any other kind of plant eating caterpillar and weevils including Tomato Horn Worm.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Vine weevils or here in the US called vine borers, the culprit is a moth that flys in at night and lays its eggs close to the base of squash, melons cucs etc. By using the dust regularly when a moth lays its eggs, they hatch and the little weevil or caterpillar bore into the vine and wreak havoc until they take one bite of Bt. They will instantly stop feeding and will die in a couple of hours. If you see you vines starting to turn yellow and in general decline what you can do is get liquid Bt, mix properly, get a small hypodermic syringe and needle and inject it all around the base of the plant. You can usually see where the entrance is and where the weevil is. He will ingest some of this injected Bt and DRT thus saving your plant to live another day and give you the delicious vegetables you expected

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
And apply orange oil (or for that matter any oil) either early in the morning or preferably in the late afternoon to avoid burning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I'm going to buy some online. Are there any organic and non-organic kinds, or is it all organic. I'm asking because I don't want to buy the wrong kind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm going to buy some online. Are there any organic and non-organic kinds, or is it all organic. I'm asking because I don't want to buy the wrong kind.
As far as I know it is all organic. It will be a lot cheaper if you go to a nursury. I am sure that all of them in and around Bastrop will carry it. The brand most widely found and what I use is by Medina.

Ask a Question