Options for ground cover?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Hi Everyone!

As my flowers expand all over my yard, naturally the weeds do to lol. I have mostly mulch everywhere, some areas I haven't mulched yet. Recently I was reading some people use creeping phlox as a ground cover in replacement of mulch or rocks. What are your thoughts? I dont mind mulching as it just looks so great and great for holding moisture and reducing weeds. Guess my sucker self for flowers has got me thinking about creeping phlox, even if they just bloom in spring. What are your thoughts on this? Using a spreading flower as a ground cover?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What a good subject @Sabina515 , and I couldn't agree more - so nice to see flowers rather than concrete. Mulch is brilliant, but I like sedums especially for filling in spaces. There are so many varieties to choose from. Phlox too, mixed with creeping Thyme if the garden is predominantly sunny.
This is one of the videos that Zigs made, it includes some of our sedums in full flower covered in bees :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We've a lot of phlox.
There'd a rockery under it..somewhere

P1050169.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Tess - I didn't know kinnikinnick, so looked it up. We used to grow Gaultheria Procumbens at the nursery - I remembered it in the ''acid loving '' tunnel. It looks exactly the same, but is a totally different plant.
1626676250628.png
Gaultheria procumbens.
1626676327233.png
Kinnikinnick aka bearberry. I don't think the native Indians would put the Gaultheria in their peace pipes though. The flowers on each of these are the same too - well, similar.

1626676534816.png
G P
1626676681615.png
Kinnikinnick

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Tess - I didn't know kinnikinnick, so looked it up. We used to grow Gaultheria Procumbens at the nursery - I remembered it in the ''acid loving '' tunnel. It looks exactly the same, but is a totally different plant.
View attachment 83401 Gaultheria procumbens.View attachment 83402 Kinnikinnick aka bearberry. I don't think the native Indians would put the Gaultheria in their peace pipes though. The flowers on each of these are the same too - well, similar.

View attachment 83403 G PView attachment 83423 Kinnikinnick
Thanks for the info! I never heard of Gaultheria. Very similar looking plants!

Ask a Question