Onions in a bucket?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
A friend has offered me onion sets for free. Would these grow in a bucket? After reading about potatoes in a bucket, I am going to try doing the same and am wondering about trying onions this way too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I don't see why not as long as each plant has enough root space. I am current growing a hand full of garlic bulbs in an urn planter that is almost equivalent to a 5 gallon bucket. (My onions keep getting drowned out or the heat gets to them.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have grown onions in a bucket before and it works well. As long as your onions have enough room to grow, they should do just fine. What kind of onions were you given?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
You should have no problem growing them. As already mentioned just give them room. I have garlic in a bucket and the only thing I really worry about is them getting too much water. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
[Q="Rosyrain, post: 50810, member: 1157"]I have grown onions in a bucket before and it works well. As long as your onions have enough room to grow, they should do just fine. What kind of onions were you given?[/QUOTE]

I will let you know when he brings them to the pub next sunday.

Ask a Question