"One man's meat is another man's poison"

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
The adage "One man's meat is another man's poison" perfectly suits the water hyacinth I have in our garden. I have read somewhere that US is up in arms against this plant - what they call a weed - and are working hard to eradicate it from water sources as it is known to clog the system..

wterhycinth.jpg

For me water hyacinth is a beautiful flower and I have placed it right in front at the entrance.

Reaction score
I guess a weed is not a weed until it starts growing in the wrong place and the wrong time ;) It's a really beautiful plant, in my country they have nothing against this beauty. I hope it is the same in the Netherlands, I'd really love getting a water hyacinth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I live in the US and I do not consider these plants weeds at all, but nice little surprises where ever they pop up. I guess if they take over all of the garden space, they could be considered a weed to some people. The only flower that I really consider a weed is the good old dandelion because they can take over your yard and grass quickly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
RR, they take over ponds and lakes and are pretty quick to multiply, they can block water flow in and out, causing the dam to be breached, they also shut out sunlight from reaching the water and that can kill a pond/lake in short order, not to mention the life that lives there. Not much of a threat to the garden its' self, as it is an aquatic (water) plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I buy them during the summer for my pond but know to never release them into local waterways. Another example of a weed in some places and a flower in others.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is a pretty plant that I did not know could be very damaging in certain situations. If I ever get one for my yard I will be sure to keep it under control, not that I am near a main waterway.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
It is a pretty plant that I did not know could be very damaging in certain situations. If I ever get one for my yard I will be sure to keep it under control, not that I am near a main waterway.

You certainly can grow it under controlled conditions just as I have done.

Ask a Question