Oleander bush or something else?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We inherited this bush when we bought the house. It flowers pink in clusters and I was wondering if it's an oleander or something else?
oleander bush.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Your first is an oleander. All parts of the oleander are toxic, so if you have shrubbery chewing pets or toddlers who put anything and everything in their mouths, you may want to remove it.
The second could be oak leaf hydrangea, but this is just a guess.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The second plant looks like the leaves of Confederate Rose (Hibiscus mutabilis), though without flowers that is tentative guess.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think the Hibiscus might be a good guess -if tentative, and think that Hydrangea leaves are opposite :unsure:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, Confederate Rose (Hibiscus mutabilis) is in the Mallow Family (Malvaceae)...
It is possible for H. mutabilis to grow up to 15 feet or more, so I don't think your plant's size would rule it out.
What is strange is that it isn't blooming in Summer, but there are many reasons that a plant won't bloom even in season.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1628755412115.png
Hibiscus mutabilis leaf doesn't seem so pointed as the plant in question :unsure: My very first thought for this pant was Malvaceae, but most of that family that I am familiar with has far more rounded leaves.
This is the interesting part of a multinational forum - finding plants that don't necessarily live here in the UK.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Could the fact that we cut it back last fall affect the blooming issue? We've also had a ton of rain this spring and summer. It is also a late bloomer, usually it blooms in August so we'll see what happens.

Ask a Question