Old carpet as greenhouse floor?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I put up a pop up/portable greenhouse this year and I love it. I just used weed cloth for the floor and its starting to fall apart (happy it lasted 6 months).

We are getting a new area rug for the living room and I'm wondering if the old rug would be a suitable floor cover. Keep the weeds down, keep the humidity up, etc. Carpet is one of those $20 walmart dorm room types and the perfect size

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
When we lived in town I had a propagating house (lattice structure with a removable roof because in Texas, you don't need more heat!). I used old carpeting on the floor, and found it to be easy on the feet, weed preventing, and when it rained, it drained slowly, but it did drain. I put it in upside down, with the fiber down and the woven mat on top.
I don't see why carpet wouldn't work well for you. If it doesn't, it is easy to remove!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
The upside down idea is a good one thanks

I think it should work fine,but wanted to ask incase I was missing an obvious reason it was a bad idea

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I put up a pop up/portable greenhouse this year and I love it. I just used weed cloth for the floor and its starting to fall apart (happy it lasted 6 months).

We are getting a new area rug for the living room and I'm wondering if the old rug would be a suitable floor cover. Keep the weeds down, keep the humidity up, etc. Carpet is one of those $20 walmart dorm room types and the perfect size
I can't think of any reason why not

Reaction score
Give it a try, my dad tried it with a bit of the garden and it has done no harm, no weeds, no anything :) Give it a try, if it doesn't work you can remove it easily.

Reaction score
I would do this all around my garden beds as a weed barrier if I could find enough. I have avoided putting anything down on the hoop house floor because I keep thinking I am going to plant in there this fall. Well, it's time and I haven't planted anything except peas in pots so far.

Reaction score
The organic farm that I worked at used old carpeting on the floor of the barn, mainly to keep the dust down. If it was good enough for a fourth generation farmer then I would think its good for your greenhouse!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I like the last two comments above me. Mildew is definitely something to consider, as well as possible chemicals in the carpet. I have just been thinking about what to do as a floor when I put my greenhouse back up. I've considered landscape cloth as well as newspaper and I may even put a layer of mulch or gravel down on top of whichever I choose. (Weeds/grass were an issue for me before.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
The carpet sounds like a good idea. Also, have you ever tried interlocking foam pieces? It is inexpensive and would be easy on your feet. I am sure it would keep the weeds down as well. Also, you can get it in just one large piece.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I've decided to upgrade to a bigger pop up style for next year and will do an indoor/outdoor carpet floor for that one

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I would not have thought that mildew would be too much of a problem.

It tends to occur when the roots are dry and the leaves are wet.
Carpet would act as a mulch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would not have thought that mildew would be too much of a problem.

It tends to occur when the roots are dry and the leaves are wet.
Carpet would act as a mulch.
I think Chanell was thinking of mold and mildew on the bottom of the carpet. Once that jute backing gets wet it will mildew but I don't think it would be much of a concern outdoors or in a greenhouse

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I originally did the indoor outdoor carpet and was not happy about how grubby it looked in literally minutes. And it was tough pulling it up to take outside to hose off and then let dry, then put back in. What I ended up doing was putting down plastic where the plants sit but for the walkway up the middle - it's only about 2.5 feet wide x 6 long - I used rubber backed mats. These I can pick up individually and take outside to shake off, or leave out to dry if I have spilled water on them.
Those mats can be found at Home Depot for only a few dollars each - or even the Dollar store sells them too.

Ask a Question