Okra not producing

Reaction score
I have an okra plant that has produced one pod. One! It has been growing and looks healthy but doesn't seem to want to produce anything. Is it because of all the rain we've been having? Because we've had lower than normal temperatures here in Georgia? Something else, maybe? I planted it in a mixture of top soil/potting soil in a raised bed the end of May. Any advice?

Reaction score
I am in Georgia too and my okra is slower than usual. I don't have great advice all we can do is wait until fall and see if somehow we get a jump on the harvest. :(

Reaction score
I think it is because of the rain and the temps not being as high as they normally are. Okra is a more tropical plant and thrives on the heat. Here in NC it is the same way. Two people that I know of had plants and they have not produced much at all.

Reaction score
I am living in a tropical country and yes Okra is one veggie in my garden that does not need much attention to grow. My only concern is if we forget to harvest them earlier in time , they easily hardened and mature.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If your temps average below about 85 in the daytime and nightime temps 70 or below that is probably the reason. Okra really loves temps around 90 i think the rain will not affect it that much. I know the community garden here in denton has a lot of okra growing and doing good and the temps have averaged in the 90s for 2 mos now. I hope it starts doing better. Have a good day.:):D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Some flowers do not like the rain. Particularly the mango, when it blooms and then it rains, you can bet that there will be no fruits. With okra, I guess it is the same because when we use the water hose for irrigation, we make sure that the water hits the bottom part of the okra and not the top for it should not hit the flower. The fertilization process, when interrupted, will fail to produce fruits.

Ask a Question