Oily substance on the bottom of pots

Reaction score
Country
United States
I found an oily substance on the bottom of some small pots in my yard today. This is the second time I've discovered something like this. The first time, they were on my front patio. This time they were in my yard. There was a thunderstorm last night, if that has any relevance. The substance feels like it has a similar viscosity to engine oil. It even smelled somewhat like engine oil, but I didn't put engine oil on them, so I'm puzzled. I doubt someone came over in my yard for the second time to wipe engine oil on my pots. It wasn't on all the pots, just about a third of them. They were sitting in saucers, also, which were still filled with water from the storm last night.

Could it be a prokaryotic substance, or single-celled eukaryotes?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If they are new pots, sometimes the store treats the outside with oil ( not engine oil) to keep the pots looking like new. Rain water washes it into the saucer and then evaporates, so you get an oily ring. Generally innocuous.

Ask a Question