Oh no! problem already!

Reaction score
I bought about 4 days or so ago two lovely rose plants. I've had to neglect them because we had basement flooding and foundation issues. Heavy rains and flooding came through WI. I went outside to cut the grass and do a little work when I notice they are both having yellow leaves with black spots and the leaves are coming off. Sigh....is this something I can fix? They are blooming very nice though. I wanted to plant them tomorrow I was hoping to take a nice picture of them when I had them planted but if you need to see the problem, I can post a picture here.
MjI0NjM5MjgxODc6.jpg

MjI0NjM5MjgxODg6.jpg

MjI0NjM5MjgxODk6.jpg

Reaction score
Yellow leaves and brown spots on roses may be caused by pests, nutrient deficiency, environmental factors and diseases. Brown and black spots may be caused by fungus. Too much rain, irrigation or poor drainage can lead to yellow leaves.

Sometimes, removing the spotted leaves helps to stop the spread. Too much moisture may cause the fungus to spread. Watering early in the day and letting the leaves dry completely in the sun prevent the spread of the fungus.

To prevent yellow leaves and brown spots, use sunscreens on new plants or plant the new roses where they will be protected from the sun when it is hottest in the afternoon. Use lots of mulch around the root areas of the plants. Spray the plants with water when the sun is hottest to help reduce temperatures for the plants. Improving the plants drainage system, reducing the amount of water the plant receives in wet conditions, and increasing the water in dry conditions will also be helpful to prevent the yellow leaves. Also, avoid using too much fertilizer or pesticides on the rose plants.

Reaction score
I agree completely with Shirlleyc Cox, you have a textbook case of fungus caused by a variety of conditions. Its a fairly common thing that happens to roses and generally if you eliminate the causes the yellow leaves and black spots will go away.

Ask a Question